Snail Diseases?

smack536

You all seen my thread about Squishy being inactive for weeks then spilling outta his shell at the end...he was my 3rd snail to do that.... :(

Another one just did today!!!!

Its only bothering my brigs......the 2 canas are happliy sliming about totally uneffected.....I moved them to another tank, just in case.

I only have 2 brig left now.....and Gimli's starting to slow down!

what could this be? :huh:

:( Are you testing the water quality in their tank? That has an awul lot to do with their behavior,of course...Are you feeding them enough veggie's etc.?Are they full size adults-Have you had them for a while? Brigs only live a few years.

Sorry to hear about your snails :cry1

Snail's health depends on alot of factors, but diet, water parms and tempreture would have to be the most important things to investigate with sick snails. Are you able to post some more information?

I hope your cannas will be alright :unsure:

Ammo: 0

NitrItes: 0

NitrAtes: 10

PH: 7.4-7.6

I always have a veggie clip in there,but they never seem to eat off of it...they always eatmy algae. I never see snail teeth marks in it.

The ones that are dying are small, but gumybs full size and going strong

I dont have a heater in the tank curently....I was going to put one in right before Squishy bit the dust but nevr did.

Guest Kameira

SMACK, YOU HAVE WHAT I HAVE!!! I AM NOT ALONE!!!!

I had 2 snails to die from this and another one is barely surviving!! WHAT'S GOING ON?!!!! :blink:

Are they fairly old snails? I mean.. they aren't babies, are they?

I thought mantle collapse.. but having a whole lot of them do it at the same time doesn't make sense unless they're stressed and picked at by fish all the time or something.

You say they would rather eat algae then the veggies, right? Do you have enough algae for them to be eating?

This is really annoying when you don't know what is going on. It is weird that it is happening at the same time. Do you use salt in the tank at all? How big is the tank and who all lives there? Have you used any meds lately?

You say they would rather eat algae then the veggies, right? Do you have enough algae for them to be eating?

No, snails only eat algae if they are starving. I mean.. you'd eat dog biscuits if you were starving, right? (Yes I know, weird analogy.) They prefer veggies, snail biscuits, fruits, and other plants.

I have had Gumby for about 2 years now.....the others I havent even ahd 6 months....they were only about .5 the size of gumby. I assume they were pretty young since their shells were in perfect condition.

I got a butt load of algae....I let it grow all over the back and sides,s o theres a whole buffet there for them.

No salt, no meds...I alwasy take the snails out when I have to do meds anyhow.

They had been in a 20 with 3 goldies(I know...overstocked) but once they all started getting sick, I moved them to an old 2 gallon. Gumby is with my canas in the 40 gal since he wasnt showing any signs of anything. I only have one little guy left now.... :cry

Man, that sucks. I've been battling with my brigs too. They are all mixed in different tanks with my canas, but only the brigs are the ones getting sick. :crp

Perhaps you had a spike of ammonia or nitri/ates that you didn't realize and they got poisoned. A good thing to do is take them out of the water, put them in a bowl or on a plate (mom will love that :lol1 ) and let them slime around for awhile on the cool surface. When they get poisoned from the water, their lil' foot gets swollen and sliming around on a cool surface will help. Two of my brigs made a pretty good recovery after 2-3 times of doing that. (Two others are still not real healthy though...) Leave them out for about 10-15 minutes, making sure that they don't get too dry of course.

Good luck!

I only have 5 min. to type right now but just to throw out some possibilities....

You say haning out of the shell. How? Foot extended or the body is falling out of the shell such that bits that should be in the shell have slipped out? First one is poisoning most likely, second is a torn collumelar muscle.

Stuff to check with poisoning: ammonia/nitrite (sounds like you did that and it was ok), metals, fish meds....anything weird you add to the tank recently? Most fish meds for any/all diseases will cause snails do do the typical lie-on-the-back-with-foot-extended behavior. Salt usually doesn't cause that behavior...it tends to make snails close shut all the way or try to escape the tank.

well, what they do is they close themselves waaaaay into their shells for about 1-3 weeks....like there is about .25-.5 inches of shell showing below the trapdoor. I ussually take them out every other day or so to give them a sniff, (never any smell) and one day, Ill pick them up and the trapdoor will come floppin open and the whole snail will just tumble out onto the floor, into the tank, wherever I am. then they STINK.

They just lie on the bottom, and the fish poke them around a bit....but they never make an attempt to move.

Gimli is lying on his back(trapdoor pointing up) in the little 2 gal now...but he hasnt spilled out yet. :(

Yup lol that'd be me.

well, what they do is they close themselves waaaaay into their shells for about 1-3 weeks....like there is about .25-.5 inches of shell showing below the trapdoor. I ussually take them out every other day or so to give them a sniff, (never any smell) and one day, Ill pick them up and the trapdoor will come floppin open and the whole snail will just tumble out onto the floor, into the tank, wherever I am. then they STINK.

Hmmm...definitely something in the water, not a disease. Got a petstore nearby that'll do fancy tests on your water for phosphates, copper and junk? The snails have been dead for at least a day when they fall out like that.

Are you sure you havn't added anything to the tank recently that's out of the ordinary? No weird arisol sprays in the room or cleaning stuff been used near the tank?

hmmmm....I do have one good one, Ill see if they'll test for me....Never asked that before.

The only things I added to the tank are 2 big rocks(I bought them at a petstore, so I assumed they would be fish-safe??)

I dont use sprays/perfume/hairspray etc, so not me...I dont know if my mom may have used carpet shampoo or something....never noticed any cleaner-ish smells....Ill go on up to oddball tomorrow and see if they'll test my water.

The only things I added to the tank are 2 big rocks(I bought them at a petstore, so I assumed they would be fish-safe??)

Not all rocks are snail-safe. If they are lava rocks or something like that those can have a pretty serious effect on water chemistry. Ph can crash, some rocks can introduce other chemicals, etc. Do you know what type of rock you have, or is it synthetic (is it epoxy?)?

the are green and white layered looking rocks.....very pretty...Illscan one when I get home tonight..im at school now

they have the consistancy of like, rose quartz

Derf....ok I have no clue :blink: but my dad is a geologist lol I'm going to send the pic to him and see what he thinks. I can ID a lot of local rocks but that one I can't tell.

My dad can't tell from the picture because he's out of town and trying to view it from a 256 color palm pilot lol figures. He's going to have a look at it when he gets back this weekend. In the mean time, do you know what place the rock may have been dug up from at all? Also, and this is probably the important one, you said there are white flecks...are there any yellow or meatlic yellow flecks in it? If so, you might have a rock that contains some sort of metal in it that is leaching into the water. A lot of flecked rocks contain little impurities of metal, and if you have soft water it could be seeping out. Seems unlikely to me that little flecks would cause a lot of damage, but could be I guess...

hmmmm.....on the smaller of the 2 rocks, the one side has lots of little specks and things on it....

*goes to look*

ahhh...it does have yellowey lines running thru it......some black specks, and when you look at the top, it is very metallic looking...its green tho...

I have no idea where it woulda been dug up from....i just bought it at a big pet store here

im half tempted to go back and demand a refund......

It looks to me like granite, which our store also sells for aquariums (most of the rocks we sell are not suitable for aquariums as far as chemistry goes). Granite does usually contain metals, including a lot of pyrite (the sparkly gold flecks). Living near the mountains Im really familiar with it. For the most part I think its completely inert but that was a great point that was brought up about metals being present in it. I know metal can be dangerous to most inverts. Also the green in it definitely does sound like some sort of metal (maybe copper?that turns green).

Another question too is whether your tapwater has chloramines in it. Some city water does. Make sure youre using a dechlorinator that takes out both chlorine and chloramines because not all do. I found out I had to do a double dosage of mine to take care of the chloramines.

Archived