Sign in to follow this  
DataGuru

The New 125 Is Finally Set Up!

Guest Phreno

Jeez, it seems like your fish are very prone to getting microscopic things livin on em. Hope that they all get better.

Prone. I don't think so. They've grown from 3 inches to nearly 10 inches in less than a year and are very healthy goldies. The costia and velvet either came in on some plants (which I'm now going to start disinfecting with PP when I get them) or with the new goldies (who were quarantined for a month). The lesson is to make sure anything new isn't bringing nasties in with it.

Betty, I'm amazed at your fish growth rates, I know some other mbrs also have had remarkable growth. The common link appears to be lots of fresh veges, do you have an opinion on that? I only feed my tankers fresh food once a week as it seems to make a mess of the filter media, do you have that problem?

Also, how do you find the UGF in the 55g? How often do you have to clean it and how do you do it?

Glad to hear your fish are on the mend. :)

Edited by Fishmerised

I'm feeding my goldies gel food in the morning, usually duckweed/salvenia for a lunchtime snack, and for dinner they get a 1 to 3 ratio of cocktail shrimp or krill and green beans, green peas and lima beans. The gel food is kinda messy and I'm sure they poop more than if they were fed the dried pellets and flakes. I think it's healthier for them. I shoot for about an inch of poop from each feeding. They spend 15 to 20 minutes eating dinner cuz there is so much chewing involved. Everyone gets hand fed a bit o shrimp first thing. Coco has a clue and comes back for seconds (everyone else is busily munching on veggies after their first bite of shrimp).

From my reading so far, I don't believe that feeding pellets or flakes exclusively is a healthy diet for goldfish. If you feed pellets or flakes, I think veggies and fruits should also be fed and fresh sources of protein. Pellets and flakes are highly processed foods and most contain cheaper and less digestable grain or soy proteins, fish proteins, and starch with added vitamins. If you read the ingredient list, and you see things like corn gluten, corn meal and corn middlings, that's called ingredient splitting. Fish food manufacturers do this because protein from grains/soy is cheaper and it makes the fish or shrimp protein look like it's the largest ingredient since it's first on the ingredient list. Feeding your goldies only pellets or flakes would be like you or I eating only fish sandwiches and multivitamins every day.

The UGF doesn't cover the entire bottom of the tank. It's about half the length of the tank. It's placed in the middle with a HOB on one tube and a powerhead on the other tube. That way I can put potted plants on either side of it and not worry about them obstructing the water flow thru the gravel. The potted plants also help to keep the gravel in the middle of the tank. I also have another HOB on the tank to help catch debris and ramshorn snails which are a good cleanup crew. I vacuum the gravel well with each partial water change and haven't had a problem with gunk building up under it. I think it's an awsome biofilter. lots o surface area for the biobugs.

I'll be glad when this velvet thing is over. We're on day 6 now... 8 more days to go. At least nitrAtes will be low from all the partial water changes! :)

I think part of my problem is I'm quite accustomed to feeding the correct amount of commercial foods but I'm a novice a gelfood.

How does this sound: one half cubic inch of gel food for a large tele (4" bodylength without tail), a medium tele, and two little munchkins. That's four fish in total. The large and medium teles and in my signature but have grown since that pic was taken.

It doesn't sound like much, I used to feed double that amount but the mess was incredible. I feed my fish twice daily, so that would only be like half their daily intake.

Glad to hear those nitrAtes are down anyway - look for the silver lining. ;)

So what kinda mess were you seeing? debris from the food? a lot of poop?

Gel isn't as high in calories as is dry food, so I think you could feed them double that amount and be fine. Let the amount of poop be your guide! LOL Feed em too much and a lot comes out the back end undigested. That's why I shoot for around an inch of poop from each feeding.

If you cut it into bite sized cubes, there's less mess. If it's breaking up too easily, add an extra pack of gel to the next batch. You could also rinse it in tank water to remove debris from cutting it up before putting it in the tank.

Guest Phreno

You really think Gel food is that much better for them? Maybe I'll try it, but I'm afraid of overfeeding them with it. It sounds like they'd love it.

Yea I do. I think knowing the nutritional content is important tho. A diet exclusively of gel that isn't nutritionally complete wouldn't be good. a varied diet that comes closer to their natural diet is the way to go. live worms and bugs and inverts, fish protein, and veggies and water plants, and pellets, etc. multiple small meals.

:exactly

I feed all of my goldies a VERY diverse bit of foods. I always supplement them with a feeding of live foods once (sometimes twice) a week. By live, I mean still wiggling. Gut-loaded mealworms and crickets (de-headed waxworms every now and again too) seem to be my goldies favs so I stick with them. Then, I also feed freeze dried krill, frozen krill, frozen bloodworms, storebought veggie gel, freeze dried fruit flies and tubifex worms. Then, they get even further supplemented with baby spinache, peas and broccoli. I only feed two types of staple foods and they get that at least once a day, Wardley's medium sized pellets and sinking cichlid granules (mainly veg matter)

All in all, I don't really follow any strict regemine of feeding. I feed twice some days and more on others. But I ALWAYS alternate their supplements.

As always, I hunger for more info and pictures! :D

Paul

LOL Sounds like a great diet!

So do you grow your own mealworms?

I have a redworm composter set up. and mine get live daphnia from time to time. I have a kiddie pool set up out back and am hearing amorous frogs, so I'm hoping for tadpoles soon to see if they like those.

This is the last day of formalin treatment for the goldies (day 14). Found a 16 watt UV unit, so I'll drain and then reconnect the plant filter and hook up this UV this evening. I'm also building a trickle tower filter. similar to this one:

http://www.geocities.com/michael_mcquay/TT/TT.html

that'll go in the plant filter. I'm hoping it will help gas off nitrAtes (Some people say it will especially if you add calcium bentonite clay). At worst, it'll be a kick butt biofilter.

I'll probably leave the goldies in a 55 for a couple of weeks to make sure they're over whatever was bugging them and then try them out in the 125. I'm still ambivalent about that cuz even tho the tropicals are doing great in the natural planted tank, the tropicals don't do piledrivers with their faces into the substrate foraging for food.

I've got an awesome local shop that sells herps along with parrots and MANY types of fish. They have such an huge array of foods I often spend 5-10 minutes deciding what to try next! Anyway, I keep a razorback musk turtle that I like to feed live worms and crickets and whatnots too so, I always pick up extra for my goldies too.

Yeah, goldies seem to like to flirt with disaster with the parasites/bacteria and hiding in the gravel thing....... :unsure:

I recently found that my guppy tank had chilodonella in it. I noticed that a few were bouncing off the bottom and inspected a little closer. I found a dead guppy stuck to the sponge pre-filter and performed a scrape. MAN! I found hundreds, if not thousands, of chilodonella teeming all over that slide! I raised the salinity to 0.3% and the chilo's seem to be on the run now. I haven't seen a single flick since adding the salt. I am now beginning to wonder if I have infected any other tanks as well. At least I know that my newcomer, Spud, is free and clear. He's been in .3% salt since he got here and has 1 more week to go.

Good luck with you and your goldies. Hopefully they can try out their new home soon! :D

So how do you feed them crickets?

Got a couple of pics of the trickle tower.

Built the shell out of lava rock and hot glue.

Was going to use a pond fountain head, but that was a BIT MUCH when I hooked it up to the 480 gph pump...

can we say take a shower in the living room! :rofl

so now it's just a 3/4 inch pvc pipe running up the middle surrounded by bioballls and lava rock. To get it to trickle water down thru the lava rock, I made a plastic disk with holes in it that fits down inside the tower around the pvc pipe and covered that with lava rock. I'm still getting a stray water droplet splashing out from time to time, so I have to figure out how to stop that from happening.

Here's the plant filter before the trickle tower.

PlantFilter050329a.jpg

and after. I moved the plants in their craft mesh basket in front. The black tubes running out the left side are to and from the UV unit (which still has the powerhead running it).

TrickleTower050522a.jpg

You can see blue bioballs inside if you look close.

TrickleTower050522b.jpg

That looks sooo cool. :goodjob

Thanks for the info on gelfood and feeding guys. I think my problem was not enough of the gelatine to keep it together. Anyway, for the time being I'm giving the gelfood a miss and just feeding food supplements direct to the fish.

Fishmerised,

You can melt down the gel food and add another package of gelatin. I have done that before and it works great :)

Wow!

You actually fit one in there!? Heh, I think they should be called "bio-canoes" :o:lol:

Pretty cool! you have your own little volcano spewing out aqua instead of molten lava! You know what would be REALLY neat? Getting a little waterproof pinspot lamp and slide it into the "bio-cano" (or mounted above it) so that it lights the water coming out of it all red! wouldn't that be aesthetically pleasing............ :exactly

Anyway, I forgot to mention how I feed my goldies crickets. I usually get large common crickets and gutload them with veggies. ThenI just pull a few out and just drop them into the tankwater. Lurch and Callie know right away what they are and close in like sharks. I've even seen my dojo trying to tear bits out of a half eaten cricket before! anyway, I feel that the only thing from my list above that really need decapitating is the waxworms. If you've ever picked one up you'd know that they can bite just like a large grasshopper..... ;)

Fishmerised,

You can melt down the gel food and add another package of gelatin.  I have done that before and it works great  :)

331651[/snapback]

Thanks for the tip. ;)

I feel that the only thing from my list above that really need decapitating is the waxworms. If you've ever picked one up you'd know that they can bite just like a large grasshopper.....

sorry i dont know how to quote.

i was wondering where you buy your waxworms becuase i fish and i have never had a waxworm bite me before.

Paul: that's an excellent idea with the lighting.

I'm still seeing some fin flicking and flashing. Think I should move the UV into the tank instead of having it in the plant filter? I should be getting at least 400 gph of movement between the plant filter and the goldie tank.

So what kinda veggies are you feeding the crickets?

On a side note, my little ones are getting the hand feeding thing down now. and Coco really has a clue. He's gotten to where he'll come back for 3rds and 4ths.

Got some pics the other nite.

Here's everyone. The tetra is loving it the goldie tank.

Goldies050522l.jpg

Scooter, Stripe and Lumpy

Goldies050522g.jpg

Coco, Fancy, Stripe and Lumpy

Goldies050522c.jpg

Scooter's true color is somewhere between these two pics. He's really growing.

Scooter050522b.jpg

Scooter050522a.jpg

and here's Fancy

Fancy050522c.jpg

Fancy050522a.jpg

Her color is a lot more vibrant than the pics.

Dataguru you sure have some fine fish! I can't pick my favourite, they are just all gorgeous.

Fancy is aptly named! She looks like shes all fins. Heck, she looks like a fishhead with fins sticking out the back..... :lol:

Scooter looks really cute with his little tubricles on his cheeks too!

I feel for you and still seeing flicking going on. It's quite an uneasy feeling to know that there are still nasties milling about. I can remember getting to the point of feeling utter helplessness when I had a tankful of flukes. :crp

speaking of that. I had thought Stripe was female just based on their behavior. Now I do believe I see tubercles on Stripe as well. If that's the case, 4 of 6 goldies are confirmed males.

Even tho there should be plenty of water movement between the plant filter and the goldie tank, I went ahead and moved the UV into the goldie tank. Everyone seems pretty happy. I'll do another scrape tomorrow and try to figure out what's going on.

So what do you feed your crickets?

Sorry, forgot to answer about cricket feeding. :rolleyes:

I feed them a mix of things. Broccoli, kale, tomato, apple, carrot, banana and always keep flake or pellets. Basically, they need a high protein diet to thrive. Their main staple is the fish food and I always keep one or more of the veggies/fruit for added nutrients and vitamins (and moisture).

I commented earlier on waxworms biting. I meant mealworm. Actually, anything with a mouth can bite. Mealworms just can't bite human skin easily (unless its a king mealy or super mealy). But, the soft texture of the innards of a goldfish could possibly be damaged if the goldfish didn't chew it long enough. Thats why I feed the larger ones. My goldies HAVE to chew them well to swallow them. I still get paranoid and whack their heads off though. I HAVE had king and super mealies bite me before. It's more of a little pinch than a chew though.....

Good luck with the nasties in the tank. I'm sure moving UV will help. Are you still using the quickfilter micron sleeve to help?

Thanks. :)

No, tho I probably should put one of the micron filters back in the tank if I have an extra powerhead. The big pump is running the plant filter now and one of the powerheads is running the UV. I've got to do some jerry rigging, cuz right now the top won't fit on the tank with the UV cuz of where I had to set the UV. If that makes any sense.