Filter

Debi0825

All of my fish are now inside (from the pond) for the winter. I moved in one of my bio-filters in with them but it seems much harder to keep my levels where there should be in the tubs (240 gallons). Are there any filters that you would recommend I use as I am leaning towards getting another filter to help. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

If your filter has something like an outlet that just falls back into your tub, I would recommend adding something simple to that.

What I did to help the filter system along is a 30 gl rubbermaid from nnnnnn. I let one of the two outlets from the filter run into that rubbermaid via a clear pipe, cut 3 holes in the upper 1/4 part of the rubbermaid on one side. The water goes into the rubbermaid, which is filled with aquaclear sponges and blue bioballs, and runs back into the tub through the 3 holes. Its simple, cheap, and those 30 gl hold a lot of extra filter media.

I also added some floating water hyacinth to the rubbermaid, but since your setup most likely is inside, I am not sure if there would be enough light for the plants to survive.....

Give it a try! :)

Thanks for the help. I have something similar to what you have. The water currently goes through 2 filters, the bioballs and then up a pipe into my upper tank. It then falls into a containter of gravel and out. The the upper tank goes through a PVC tube filled with netting and it runs out the bottom. I just want a little extra to make it extra clean. I have Hyacinths now, but they do not like my grow lights and are all dying. My other plants are doing wonderful in the basement however. I may add what you suggested though. Nice and easy enough to do and would give the extra filtration that I want. Thanks!

Hello! I just had my 100 gallon indoor tub go through a mini cycle. It sort of surpised me as I was expecting no change at all. I guess I wasn't taking into account all the good bacteria that I couldn't move in with me that was growing on the sides of the pond, rocks, etc. I did bring in my only bio filter, so the flow and filtration stayed the same. My did the typical month long cycle but the levels never got dangerously high. I just started to add the biofilter booster that I used at spring startup and it seemed to help. I just tested everything today and I'm completely re-cycled! :happydance

Good luck!

Hey Ash, I did the same thing as you. All that good bacteria in the pond is still IN THE POND. I've added Pond Zyme to get the good bacteria started in the PVC Pipe filter. Also last night I realized I hadn't changed the two filters on my bio filter. They were distgusting so now wonder my numbers were out of whack. I didn't clean the bioballs, just the two other filters. I'll do a water check again tonight. Sure seems easier with the pond doesn't it??

Yeah, I just think of all my hard earned bacteria out there starving to death in the pond :rofl

I brought some of the smaller edging rocks that I had used in the water, hoping to increase my good bug load but still had to do the cycle thing. I'd like to take some of them out of the tank now, but they love them...always darting in and out of the "caves". So I guess I'll have to leave them in!

Archived