Is This Possible?

Wynkin

Hi,

I get regular newsletter type emails from Rick Hess at the Goldfish Connection--this one is quite interesting since it is contrary to what I thought (that goldies need lots of current in the tank).

Here is the email and links:

Dear Goldfish Collector,

Here's a question I received yesterday.

"My biggest concern is unhealthy fish behavior. Mostly they hide at the bottom of the tank inside of a cave ornament. They perk up and swim excitedly over when they see me and are eating VERY well. They swim around after feeding, beg for more food, and pick-up gravel etc and otherwise act very normal. No flashing, gasping for air or abnormal behavior and my water tests perfect. Can you help me Rick?" Thank you, Julia C.

Before you check the answer, what suggestions would you have for this fellow Goldfish Collector?

Here's the answer that solved her problem:

https://www.goldfishconnection.com/articles...=106&parentId=1

Thanks for your time,

Rick

www.goldfishconnection.com

I think that is completely correct. I have a lot of filtration in my tanks, and some of them have a fair amount of current. The really big fish do fine, but some of the smaller or less robust fish (pearlscales, etc) do not. The difference in their activity levels and even swimming patterns is immediately noticable when you adjust the current patterns in the tank.

I have a large rock that I use as a "wall" in my big tank, with a bank of tall plants behind it. This creates a pocket of still water - and all the fish sleep there. The current is also broken up by specifcally placed plants in the tank - I drop in a few pieces of food and watch where it goes. You can follow your current by watching the movements of food and air bubbles. Then, with careful placement of plants, decorations and rocks, you can break this current up so that it is not disturbing to the fish.

My Pearlscale Pudge used to sit on the botttom in the back all the time - it was distressing. Since I readjusted the currents of the tank about 2 months ago, he is again swimming by the front glass, all perky and happy again!

So, yes - what Rick has said has great value - and is something to consider! :)

You know whats funny? I was about to post about this very email and see how many of us got it right. It took me a few minutes of thought but I got it right! :D

I am a HUGE fan of filtration. I don't own a single tank that doesn't have at least 10 X's filtration in it an most are really at like 12-15 X's. I counteract the heavy currents by having strategically placed plants and ornaments and water returns (just lke Daryl).

In my own opinion, a strong current grows strong fish. But, there is definitely a point at wich currents will do more harm than good. As long as dorsals are erect and everyones healthy, I'm happy. :D

:D I have to say "Ditto" on everything said. All my tanks have really good filtration,and it's all about "where you place what". My fish don't have a problem with it usually because I have also placed plants,rocks,etc. in a way as to where even the baby Moor is comfortable swimming. :yeah: I also read that E-mail and guessed correctly. :lol:

Guest sourmilknightmares

Where I got Bill and Ted (commons) from there was waaay too much current. The poor guys couldn't even stay upright without being pushed around by the current. Craziness! And the owners failed to realized anything was wrong with the fish! Tell me, if you saw a fish moving without swimming and being pushed sideways wouldn't you guess there was something wrong?

That's pretty cool that you guys guessed it right. Next time I get one of those e-mails I'll have to try to figure out what the problem is before reading the answer!

You guys are super smart!!! I had no idea what was wrong with the fish in the email--I always think "water quality" and would never have guessed about the current.

:D

Nancy you are not alone. While water quality is my first thought, when it comes back ok it takes me a while before the Current runs thru possible causes. I guess it is one of those things that should pop right into your mind.

I like the button trick that is cool.

Anyone know why thread and not string??

Guest sourmilknightmares

My guess is that a string would be too heavy (like yarn) and a thread is light and will be able to better show how strong the current is.

Thats funny, I didn't even bother clicking on the link that Rick provided, I knew right away what was wrong with this picture. Sometimes we think of all those complicated and worrysome things that could cause a fish to rest like that, and we completely overlook this small, yet important detail.

Current can be a good thing, or a bad thing. Koi keepers always make sure that their ponds have a current for the fish to swim against, to provide them with the neccessary development of their muscle mass, but too much isn't good for them. They say they can tell the difference between a koi well build from muscle, or simply being fat from not enough "exercise".

:lol: Laurie, I guess I could use some extra "current" too at times! :rofl

Guest Pollock

I had too much current in my tank and I could see that my fish (which are quite small) were really struggling and getting stressed out. Before I came up with a solution to reduce the current (getting a weeker air pump and repositioning my two filters) I had set up a corner of the tank surrounded by plants and ornaments to block the current. My fish ended up hiding in there almost all the time :crp . I also expect this stressful period contributed to their stunted growth. :(

I never would have thought that the current could be an issue. Makes sense that it would go hand in hand with our filtration systems. Hmmmm.....I think I'm going to go check mine out.

This thread got me thinking and I used to have a lot of current in my pond before I took one of the pumps out for the winter since it's tubing ran alon the ground and I didn't want it to freeze, would it be better to have current or have no current at all in a pond with commons and comets?

Archived