Devs Is Sick:(

Athena

My betta Devs has fin rot. He hasn't eaten in about 3 days until yesterday. I started him on Melafix 6 days ago. He is getting his strength back and swimming, even though it is very difficult for him. Fingers crossed guys!

:( I am so sorry to hear that Athena.(It still freaks me out about the Devs thing) :lol: Well,him eating is a good sign,that's for sure. What dosage are you using for the Melafix? Does the fin rot actually look like it's being helped? I myself have had some bad experiences with Betta's and Melafix,so sometimes I get a little nervous with that. You've been here long enough to know the importance of Pristene water,so I won't go into that.I will definately keep my finger's crossed though.Good Luck Hun,and tell Devs "hello,and to be a** kickin tough"!!! :heart P.S. I loved the title of the thread!!!! :lol: I'm "sick" too! :krazy:

Well, it's supposed to be 1 tsp for 10 gallons. It's a two gallon tank so I use under a quarter teaspoon. I am a little nervous about it too Devs so I make sure that I am using very little Melafix. I read somewhere about you not having very good luck with it and bettas. Well, little Devs is actually looking much, much better. His colour is nice and dark and he's swimming up when I come to the tank. He wants his food!

I think that his fin rot started when he was malnourished because his fins did seem to be splitting weird. Now it's really bad so I'm treating him.

Athena I hope your little one is doing good. I have to ask, where did you get his name? Does it have anything to do with Devs here on the board???? I do know she is "mother" to all bettas. :D

I've used Mela-fix to treat fin rot on my betta Guy.

I used an eye dropper(brand new) I got from the Pharmacy (Because it scared me when I read that Melafix was/ could be bad for bettas).

Then I changed his tank water, took out the gravel, and added a few drops of Melafix to it.

Then I let it him live in that for a week, then changed his water and left the rocks out and Now his fins are long and gorgeous. Alot better than before his rot.

:) Thats good that devs is getting better, good luck

(By the way Athena i should have those Java ferns for you soon!)

I totally forgot about that Alex!!! :lol:

Fishbuddy2 I'm so happy to hear that your betta got better! Hopefully little Devs will pull through! He started eating more and swimming more even though his fins look terrible :crp He's such a trouper!

• 3 weeks later...

Well his fin on the top has not grown back at all that I've noticed. His back fin and the fin under his body seem to be improving well. I guess I'm most worried about his top fin :unsure:

I ended up doing 3 week long treatments of Melafix with a two or three day break in between to see how he was doing. He seemed to go through this type of behaviour. I'd be doing the Melafix treatment and he'd get really active. I did a water change and would stop treatment for a couple of days and he'd become really inactive, hide, and not eat. This is why I'd start the treatment over.

So he hasn't been treated in about a week. He seems to be doing well. He's eating every day and getting excited and swimming when I come up to his tank. Like I said, the only thing that I'm worried about is his top fin.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see if he improves. Man I hate waiting!!!

:) Waiting is very frustrating,isn't it? His top fin was damaged rather severely so I guess it will be just a matter of time.You allready know to keep the Params as pristene as possible.I'm glad to hear that he's eating and swimming normal again.Funny how Melafix works..I never had any real luck when it came to the couple Betta's I used it on.In fact,I still believe it did more harm than good.You seemed to have no problems...Go figure....Well,I'm still rooting for Devs,,,Hopefully you'll see that new growth start soon. ;)

So how did Melafix affect your bettas Devs?

Oh, I also read that bettas are more sensitive to Ph changes so I think I'm going to make sure that I age the water for little Devs.

One Betta that I had been treating for minor fin rot seemed to have gotten a worse case during the treastment.The other two treated at different times-seemed to have gotten extremely lethargic,almost death like,and the one was having breathing problems from what it looked like. :blink: Once I stopped with Melafix,in a matter of a couple of days,there was a huge difference in looks & behavior,and the three were acting normal so who knows....I have read a number of people having probs with Melafix & Betta's on some of the Betta Boards I visit.

:) Thats good that devs is getting better, good luck

(By the way Athena i should have those Java ferns for you soon!)

298350[/snapback]

I totally forgot about that Alex!!! :lol:

Fishbuddy2 I'm so happy to hear that your betta got better! Hopefully little Devs will pull through! He started eating more and swimming more even though his fins look terrible :crp He's such a trouper!

299901[/snapback]

Lol I havn't im trying to grow some for you lol :rofl

• 3 months later...

I moved little Devs into his own ten gallon tank as his fins still look terrible and his colour started fading. I think that a two gallon is just too small for him. I also age the water as well before I do a water change. So I started him on Melafix again. His colour came back within 24 hours. I guess I'll just have to wait and see! :)

Archived