Planning For My Next Venture?

jsrtist

Since I started working at the pet store about 10 months ago Ive learned so much about all different types of fish. I never thought I'd really be into saltwater but the guys I work with have really gotten me into it. They all have saltwater and reef tanks and lately Ive started to really like some of the fish Im seeing there. I dont know if anyone on here is into saltwater or has had it, but I'd love to hear about your experiences. My favorite saltwater fish are mandarins, a type of dragonet (theyre also called gobies but arent true gobies). Heres a link to a pic of one: http://www.myfishtank.net/saltwaterprofile....php?profile=22

I also really love seahorses. We recently got one in at our store and Im just fascinated by watching her eat! Theyre very docile and just kind of hang out in one spot all day. She slowly pecks along the ground to find food while still resting in her spot.

I also really like the different kinds of gobies and blennies. I especially love the scooter blenny: http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Di...id=21&pCatId=96 For some reason Im really into the bottom feeding and sand sifting fish. I think I would like to devote my whole tank to these kinds of fish, and theyre peaceful enough that I could also keep seahorses with them. Of course these fish are all very difficult to keep in captivity. Most of them are wild collected and a lot have trouble eating in captivity. So Im going to do lots and lots of research and learn everything I can before I start? you know, the way I should have done before ever getting goldfish.

Now I just need to talk my hubby into letting me get a 55 or 60 gallon tank. I think that would be a great saltwater tank. Its still in the dreaming/planning stage for now but Im really excited about it and just wanted to let you guys know. :)

Guest PeasAnd Carrots

seahorses are my favorites, have been fascinated by those since i was a kid - always wanted one, I look everytime i go in a fish store and it has been ages since i have seen any - are they hard to get? and good luck with starting the saltwater, my husband wants to do that project next - we will see : )

Yes seahorses are pretty hard to get, at least in our area. Ive worked at the pet shop a better part of a year and just finally saw us get our first seahorse in. Theyre kind of tricky to feed which is why we try to stay away from wild-caught ones. The one we have in our store right now is captive bred and raised so she eats frozen food.

And yes, the expense is my main roadblock right now. I already have some equipmet like the filter but I would need a heater and possibly a protein skimmer (or at least eventually) but the main expense in a saltwater tank would be the sand/substrate and live rock. I would need a ton of liverock because of the types of fish I want to keep. As far as the extra work I think I could definitely handle that after having these goldfish?Im used to water tests and water changes! I think most of us here are very dedicated fishkeepers and could handle the extra load that comes with having a marine tank.

And thanks Supernova for recommending that site, Ive been checking it out.

Archived