Sign in to follow this  
RichyB

White Blotches

Hi all

OK Tank is 1yr plus well established and cycled. Temp around 72

Nitrate and Ammo are fine and safe. It's a 55Gallon tank, whit bio wheel filter.

I just noticed on my black moor and ryukin that there are a few what look like small white blisters or bubbles on their tail fins nowhere else on body just the tail fins. It's definitely not ich...I've had a few bouts with that.

Fish are behaving fine otherwise and 3 other goldfish are good and clear of any sign of trouble.

I'm thinking of staring a salt bath tomorrow for them before I try meds. Has anyone got any ideas? The spots look as if the fish got a little bit dusty. especially the black moor.

Other than that I hope you and your fish are all well.

Rich

Hi RichyB!

Good to hear from ya, except for the circumstances. :(

This is most likely bacterial in nature. However, parasites might be reason for the bacteria getting a foothold. This is indicative by the thickening of the slime coat around or near the bubbles you see.

You are certainly correct to want to start a salt solution. Bring it up to 0.3% over the next couple few days and keep it there for the time being. If you have any or can get some, dose the tank with praziquantel or droncit between 3-5ppm every 4-7 days throughout the salting. With this combo, you should be able to take care of most of the parasites we commonly have on our fish.

You know the rest, only go for a month or two maximum, etc,etc.

Keep us posted richy!

By the way, how about a pic of the spots for the disease photo section in our new gallery? The gallery is located at the top of the page next to the live chat.

Paul

I'll try to get some pics...usually can't quite get a good shot though. What is .3% of 55gals in spoons?...roughly

125 level teaspoons or 20.8 ounces.

Since its much easier to measure this amount in ounces, go that route. But, split the total ounces of salt into 3 additions added every 24 hours.

Basically, on day one, you want to add 7 ounces of salt, day two add 7 more ounces. then on day 3 add 7 more ounces. after the 3rd addition, you will have a 0.3% solution in your tank. From that point on, at every waterchange, you want to add back salt to the gallons of water that you are putting back into the tank. This will keep your salinity at 0.3%.

keep in mind that I have not given you the amount of teaspoons it takes for a 55 gallon tank. This is because a 55 gallon tank is really only about 50-51 gallons with only water inside. You actually have less than that if you use gravel and have onraments that displace water but 125 teaspoons should be just fine.

Good luck , Richy! :)

FYI, the salt treatment is not effective unless the temperature is brought to 81? - 85?F. The bacteria have a growth cycle and are only vulernable to salt at a level of at least .30% when they are in their most active growth stages. In order for that to happen, the temperature needs to be 81? - 85?F.

I have had three black moors and all of them have gotten the white blotches (I'm guessing tail rot bacteria?). They are the ONLY type of goldfish I've ever had get sick. I wonder if black moors are genetically predispositioned to have weak immune systems? :unsure:

Anyway, instead of the high salt level, I treat with Paraguard at the recommended level as well as giving one hour dips daily until the legions clear up. It can take up to 30 days in some cases! I also do 100% water changes daily when treating. (A hospital tank or bucket makes this a lot easier.)

Thanks to all. Fish looking better, I did salt and it looked like it improved slightly and stabilised. I added Melafix yesterday...totally cleared it up!!! :D

Edited by RichyB

Sweet! :D

That goes to show ya that there is always a place for melafix (and even pimafix) in first aid kits. Maybe I don't suggest it enough for the small things......... :unsure:

Good on ya, Richy! ;)