Pics Of My New Tank!

jsrtist

I finally got my long-awaited saltwater tank up and running this week. Ultimately it will be a mandarinfish setup but I have to really age it a lot before bringing them home. For now its a little bare but its a work in progress. Its a 30 gallon with about 10 pounds of live rock. I hope to have eventually about 50 lbs in there. I have white aragonie sand and am running two biowheels on it (minus the wheels since the live rock is the biofilter) and a powerhead. The current tank residents are three scarlet hermits, three blue leg hermits and two camel shrimp.

post-98-1109399102_thumb.jpg

Heres a closeup of the live rock. I chose pieces that had lots of natural caves and holes in them, which the mandarins prefer. There is also a lot of really nice coralline algae on this rock.

post-98-1109399612_thumb.jpg

And last but not least, one of my camel shrimp. They are related to cleaner shrimp. Since its a new tank and all these guys are scavengers, I have been feeding them to make sure they get enough to eat.

post-98-1109399717_thumb.jpg

I work in a pet store and have for over 2 years now, and those little mandarins are some of the favorite reef fish. Unfortunately they are also one of the hardest fish to care for since they rarely will take to frozen food; they only will eat live food. So you have to wait until your tank is very mature and you have lots of little tiny creatures living in there. Generally you are told to wait 6 months to a year before introducing any mandarins.

But since those are the only thing I want in there I am tailoring the tank to their every need, including making cultures of the live food and introducing them to the tank. I want to make sure my fish will be nice and healthy when I finally get them! :heart

Madarinfish are just lovely :heart Your tank is coming along and looks great,

Oh the hermies are so cute :heart , and that shrimp is lovely i love the color.

I can't wait to see the tank finished.

I have a question can you buy those purple or "colorful" sea slugs in pet stores?

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I moved a couple months ago and essentially had to recycle the tank again. I lost a large population of copepods and am battling a cyanobacteria (red slime!) problem while it continues to balance back out. I love my tank though. Unfortunately it has gotten badly scratched from my Magfloat, which apparently got some silicate sand in it, somehow. It is very difficult to scratch a glass tank but leave it to me to be able to do it!

I still have my two shrimp, chocolate chip star, firefish, hermits and have recently added some bumblebee gobies (actually a brackish fish but they are doing great in full strength seawater) and yes, finally, my long-awaited mandarinfish. I have had to go to great lengths to make sure that she has plenty of live food to eat. I plan to start a new thread soon to update everyone on my mandarin project. So far, so good. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Yes Im the same one as before. I used to have two shubunkins. Darcy and Bingley. I posted lots of pictures of them. Then I moved countries and couldn't take the fish with me. My younger sister sort of took care of the tanks but then it crashed and all the fish died (apart from one female betta I had).

Im starting to set up a tank again. Not goldfish though. Going to go for a planted tank with female bettas this time around.

How many tanks do you have now? The hermit crabs are just awesome.

I had about 5 tanks going at one time, but believe it or not Im down to just two now, my 100 gallon goldfish and the saltwater tank. I also have a 29 gallon land hermit crab tank and have gotten a dog!

You said you moved, where are you living now? Its good to hear from you, I had often wondered whatever became of you! :)

I sent you a pm a few days ago, don't know if you got it or not.

Im finally getting all fished up again. Ive had over two years with no tanks of my own now. I got my tank yesterday and today it's sitting with water in to make sure it doesn't leak and let the silt from the sand and gravel settle etc.

Archived