Drpsy Early Stages

Guest goldies

Guest goldies

My fish had been showing constipation signs for some time and I had been fasting him and giving peas. Day before yesterday I saw that he was out of sorts, yesterday he just sat at the bottom of the tank and was lazy to swim about. Dorsal was up and when I gave peas day before yesterday I did see green poop and one other fish chased him to death eating his poo out of the anus. Today i see the scales behind the gills slightly sticking out and also his anal area is bloated not to mention his behind the gill area also. Water params are clear and the tank has been cycled for a month now. I do 50% PWC each week. Add flourish exel.

I had Octazin at hand. SO added that and raised the salt to 0.1%. The temp I will raise gradually to 80 . Rt now it is at 25 deg. Since I noticed only today I have got this rolling. But i have no access to meromed which i heard is grat also no maracyn 1 or 2.

Plz help. This guy was the healthiest till now. At the time of PWC the fish go bonkeres on the gravel but this guy poor thing is just suring the bottom listlessly. I feel so bad. Kidney failure is painful.!!! :cry1

What would u advise?

Could you post the water params? This will help us to see what could be going on.

Sorry to hear the fish isn't well. Sounds like it could be the begining stage of Dropsy. Where are you that you can't get the Maracyns?

I am not sure of the Octazin and what it does. Do you have any access to a medicated food?

Also you said the temp is 25 degrees????? IS this correct? Raisning it to 80 you must do it very slowly.

Instead of aquarium salt you can use epsom salt for the swelling that will work better.

Good luck

Guest goldies

LaurieP I just finished reading ur dropsy debacle. And I read ur post!!! :) Kudos 2 u and Koko!!! Well, My ammonia is 0, no2 is 0, NO3 is 20. PH 8, KH 4.5-5.0. There r three fish. The sick one is 4 inches from head to tail. The othres are 3 inches head to tail.

The temp is 25 deg celcius. Sorry i forgot the celcius bit !!

I live in Netherlands and so no metromed and maracyn. I wonder if there is anyone who can help me with mailing. :ignore (Maybe I'm asking too much). Jeez I dont get epsom salt either. Ok. I think I will visit the LFS on Friday, That's the earliest. The octazin is a 3 day treatment that ends on Friday. It's is an English medicine by Waterlife.

I will try and ask the LFS for medicated food. We get mostly SERA stuff here. Would u be knowing the parent compound of Maracyn. Maybe I can compare it to the dutch equivalent here.

Thnx LaurieP. U r a 'been there done that' fishy mum!! And great at it too!! Wonder if I will flop :cry1

Maracyn is 200mg of Erthromycin

And Maracyn 2 is 10mg of Minocycline

I hope this helps you. I also think until you can find these or equvilants the epsom will help her/him.

Guest goldies

I just found out that Sera has Baktopur Direct for dropsy with nifupirinol (Nitrofuran)as main comp. additionally they have Baktopur tabs as medicated food. I will try that. Fishdoc says that nitrofuran baths are fantastic since they r the only compound that can get dissolved much quicker than others. What do u think?

No luck with epsom salt as yet. I am at it!

Thnx again.

Guest Indiglo

epsom salt can be found in the first aid section of a drug store or grocery store... it is used for soaking sprained joints...

it is not sold at the pet store...

maybe this helps with some confusion

No, don't add normal salt (sodium chloride) in with dropsied fish, it'll make things worse. Only add epsom salts (magnesium sulfate). Try the laxatives section of your drug store.

I am not sure on the nitrofuran. I guess if you can't find anything else then give it a shot.

Most definetly try and get the epsom salts I think it will help you tremendously.

Guest goldies

My fish is looking so bad. He has gone blind. And it has taken only two days to happen. I went and bought the furan compound and given him a dip. Epsom is also here. But I dont know how much to add. I goofed up and added aquarium salt 2 days ago.. Now How do I add epsom. Tomoroow I plan to do the water change. Since the octazin was already in tere, I have placed carbon till I add the furan to the main tank tomorrow. Heat is up at 80F.

Am I too late since he is blind already. HE swims about once in a while and then too fatigued sits down. Came to me for food in the morning but the others ate it all up. HE is so blind. My heart breaks for him and I dont want to give up till his last breath. I hope that is a long way off. he is rt now at the bottom and when I touch him he bangs against the filter base.

Do I add epsom right away and how much? I'm feeling such a void inside. My gut tells me it's too late but the othre part is telling me to hold on and give it my very best last shot......

Guest goldies

one more thing, Do i need to Qt her? The others are are also piping and thats how my lil sick fish began. One of them I think looks a bit plump, but maybe my eyes are acting up. Will it be safer to treat the whole lot? what effect can epsom have on the other fish in case u know?

I keep forgetting to include all info in one post... :krazy:

You will need to remove all the other salt with paritial water changes until you have removed 100% of the water and replaced it. Then you can add the epsom, it is 1/8 teaspoon per 5 gals.

I would say to isolate the ill fish, the others don't need the exposure to the meds or the salt.

I would go ahead, depending on why he lost sight he may get better and see again. Who knows, sometimes miracles happen.

The white poop, you only seen it once? Have you seen normal poops?

Guest goldies

Thnx laurieP. certainly I have seen nomal poops. He was the only really regular guy. the white was after 2 days of no poop in dropsied state.

2day morning I saw one more fish lying at the bottom. Should i treat the whole tank or keep transfering to the QT as and when others get sick. I only have 3 fish. It seems 2 r down alreday though the 2nd is not yet pineconing. But dorsal is down and it is piping as well....

Goldies I am sorry to hear about your fish, which one died? Not both I hope.

Fishbert is 1/2 right, while dropsy itself is NOT contagious what causes it can be. You may need to figure out what started the fish being sick, this will tell us if it is contagious or not.

If you are having any questions just ask, I am sorry you little one didn't make it.

Guest goldies

Thnx Laurie P. yesterday was bad. I thot of releasing him but when I goaded myself to it, i was almost about to throw up. So I just let him be. Poor thing died a painful death. I got up today morning thinking how I used to find him swimming to me asking for food, there was such a void. Even my usually uninterested hubby felt his absence. He was the biggest.

I dunno what could have caused it. Actually I had seen him floating on the top and piping quiet a lot. But then I thot it was sbd so did the fasting jig with peas. His dorsal was up and eating was also ok , no white stringy poo. Thats what killed me...no tell tale signs. Dropsy just flooded him. Wednesday I noticed it, slight bloating, added Octazin and Friday afternoon he is gone. I just hope people learn from my case that dropsy meds shld be really ready at hand. It just takes hours to get out of hand. Fortunately for u, u had multipronged attack on the bugs. MEtronidazole, erythromycin and tetracycline is a deadly combo. And still it took u 2 weeks, I guess.

I read that metronidazole cures the anaerobic bacteria causing dropsy, furan cures the aerobic and Flagyl cures the parasitic dropsy. My other fish is swimming really fast. nervous. But again I see no signs. Could be parasites. But I think I will wait for some stringy poop at least. Can I do a blanket treatment to be on the safe side? I have UK meds at hand I had mail ordered earlier. Myxazin Proctazin.

I dont know what caused the bout. My nitrates are 15-20. No ammonia or nitirites. Ph is 8.0 Kh is 4.5-5.0. I do face swings at times but I do PWC twice to let the buffer stand at around 5. With PH at 8.0 theres lil CO2 so I add flourish excel. Vacuum once a week. 50% water changes. I thot I was keeping water healthy enough to avoid bouts. BUT it struck and took away my dear one. Can u help?

Sorry for this long post and reading this far, I just felt like sharing.

Vandana

I am so sorry your tank feels empty, it does hurt when we lose one. And you are right, Dropsy hits and it hits hard. Thank goodness when my Sapphy got it I had a gut reaction it was coming and was on top of it. She just had the "dropsy look" I call it.

I didn't have the meds but I had epsom and another tank to iso her. That got her thru to the next day when I started the meds.

Her dropsy was do to egg impaction, so I don't know what meds could have prevented it. Really she went from egg impaction to dropsy in 2-3 days.

I wouldn't do a blanket treatment on the others left. Just really watch closely, if anything looks suspisious then start iso-ing them.

Maybe you had a PH swing, I do know that will set any fish in to a tail spin.

Archived