Pond Filter In A Tank?

Guest WelshTom

Guest WelshTom

Hi there,

This might sound like a stupid question, but what is the difference between an aquarium filter and a pond filter? Would it be possible to use a pond filter with an aquarium? I was looking today and a pond filter which can filter around 1100 lph costs around ?20, where as an external aquarium filter that filters at the same rate costs in excess of ?50.

Thanks

I think aquarium filters are made from cheaper material that does not need to withstand harsh environment and therefore cheaper to produce. They are made mainly from plastics and have a small impeller.

External pond filters are usually quite rugged and I have seen some that are made with stainless steel material and high density plastics which is very tough and rigid. They are suppose to be "heavy duty" pump and the impeller are also stronger and probably bigger depending on flow rate.

I think what you are referring to are the external canister filter and they can be expensive. These are high efficiency compact filters and it can be very pricy. I understand from another thread that a good canister filter cost as much as BP100.00. Of course there are cheaper filters but you might have to compromise a little on the quality.

In my opinion, in most cases, cheap things are never good and good things are never cheap.

Cheers.....

• 2 weeks later...

Archived