Storing A Filter

Rachelm

Hi everybody,

Just wondering what the best way to store a filter that isn't being used is?

I am going to be replacing the filter on my tank soon and won't need my fluval 1 plus in there any more. I am going to keep it incase i ever need it again, quarintine/hospital tank or small tropical tank or something, even just as an emergance back up so i want it to work when i need it.

Is there anything i need to do to make sure it will work again after being stored? I have never cleaned it more than taking the filter media out and rinsing the whole think in discarded tank water.

Also should i keep the media or throw it out? Its a blue sponge things, nothing fancy. I know keeping it won't preserve the bio bugs so would i do just as well to buy some new?

Thanks for your help,

Rachel

When I stored my Whisper I just took it down and cleaned it very well dried it off and threw away the filter media of course. I sealed it in a box and then years later when I needed it I just rinsed it off and started from the begining just like it was new.

Well i've got my new filter now, its an extenal canister type so i'm thinking of putting the sponge from the old filter in the bottom basket of the new one, i think this has 2 advantages because it will help seed the new filter with biobugs and it will also keep the bio bug population up incase i need to use that filter again.

I don't really want to keep the whole filter in the tank because the new one has plenty of capacity and i'd rather have the room in the tank for the goldfish. So i'll just clean the old filter and put it away.

Thanks for the suggestions

Rachel

Excellent idea! :exactly

And any space leftover in that basket can be filled with more bio-media to ensure that you are using every cubic inch of space available! ;)

Your well on your way to having a great setup for your fish! But don't forget to quarentine ALL newbies! I can't warn anyone enough of the importance........

Paul

I forgot to mention an important factor in storing filters for long periods of time:

Any O-rings, gaskets and removable rubber seals should be removed from the filter and sealed in a ziplock baggie to preserve the rubber. Over time, rubber has the unfortunate ability to dry-rot. Most of the time, these o-rings can handle temp extremes in an attic or something but they can and will eventually dry out from not using them.

Just a heads-up...... :)

Archived