Sign in to follow this  
ermidontknow

Do I Need To Move My Goldies Outside

eylo all. im planning on painting my living room next weekend, where 4 of my fishtanks are. i was planning on just moving the tanks away from the walls a bit so i can paint around them but then i was wondering..is it okay for the fish to be in a room with paint fumes? maybe im just being paranoid but i just want to make sure it wouldnt hurt my goldies before i paint lol :)

Guest Charley

I was waiting to see if anyone else answered this post, since I was looking for the same info.

Two of my local fish stores told me that paint fumes are attracted to water and are toxic to fish. The advice I was given, if I couldn't move the tank, was to turn off the filtration - especially air pumps - and seal the aquarium with saran wrap for at least 12 hours. I decided to just move the tanks to a safe place.

Good luck.

Yes, the paint fumes are harmful to fish. And as always paint with plenty of venilation. But i think it would be better for you to move your tank, if possible

I don't know if moving them would be the answer. Obviously if you take extreme precautions like opening all the windows (don't know how cold it is where you are) but I would leave them open for 12 hours or so. Place fans directed away from the tanks, cover them. I'm not sure about turning off the filter.

Let's see what some others have to say.

dont bother moving them as the funes stay in the room for quite a long time so just keep the widows and stuff open to lower the fumes

good luck

If you seal the tanks and turn off the filters and air, I would think that would be the same as placing the fish in a bag - no air turnover and no filtration. You have to think about how long you wish your fish to remain in that bag....... You might as well bag them and move them.

The latex paints these days are far less problematic than the oil based, stain reducing undercoats (Bin and the like - very toxic!), and the various specialty finishes you can get. With good ventilation, you should be able to cover your tank, turn off the filter but leave the air bubblers going, and be OK. Most of the newer latex paints are basically dry within hours.

I would like to point one thing out, though. You cannot move a tank with water in it without risking serious damage to the tank. Any slosh that twists the tank can damage the seal and create a leak. So to move your tanks away from the wall, you are going to have to drain them anyway........so why not simply set up a large tub or three in another well ventilated room and move your goldies with their filters into the tubs? It is no more work than draining the tanks, moving them away from the walls, refilling them and then doing it all over again to put them back when you are done. You can drain the tanks, put the filters and bubblers and fish in the tubs, along with any gravel or things you want to keep viable. Move the tanks away from the walls and seal them with plastic. Paint. In 24 - 48 hours, depending on paint finish, you can open the tanks, move them into place, refill them and put the fish back. One move - one refilling and no fish are risked.

I love painting. So much fun...... :)