How Much Do You Feed?

coyote ugly

I was wondering how many pellets you feed 1 goldfish if you ever count :blink::huh: I was at a breeder's yesterday and got ranchus and he specifically told me to feed 4 pellets(very tiny)for 1 fish.It's impossible to even do that.Thanks for any input :)

Hi,

Since I can have had a problem with high nitrates, I make sure that I don't overfeed.

Once a day, in the morning I put a small pinch of Progold pellets in for my 3 large goldies. One is a real pig and very agressive--she ends up getting a bit more so it is hard to make sure that all get the same amount.

In the afternoon is when I give them something different--such as spirulina flakes, veggies or sometimes I don't feed them anything.

They eat the algae that I have let grow in the tank. :)

:)

If I go by the 5 minute rule it would be half the can as the 4 pellets would last about 8 seconds!

ahahah i love that rule, as much as your fish would consume in five minutes, several times daily. lol id go through 3 cans a day if i did that. Not to mention my fish would be dead.

My Goldfish get 3 pellets for the bigger one, and 2 for the smaller one, and i toss a pinch in on the other end for the loach and the filter pushes it all around, so after a while of diggin threw the rocks they get about5 for the big and 4 for the small. I only feed pellets once a day, i feed fruits and veggies the restv of the time.

I saw this breakdown somewhere else on here, small fish under 3"

1-2 pellets, 3-6" 3-4 pellets, over 6" 5-6 pellets. What I've found

with multiple fish in a tank is to spread the pellets over a length of

the tank. Everyone caught onto this and gets enough to eat. The

piggies always seem to start the chain reaction with a divebomb

followed by everyone else.

I pour the pellets into the top of the food container and then spread/

dump into the tank. It gives me fairly good control over how much

and where it goes.

I'm kinda basing that off of Progold. So if your pellets are smaller

you could adjust the amount, but the size of the eye is a good

measure as well.

post-30-1109133541_thumb.jpg

You could probably feed more, but if everyone is doing fine,

I wouldn't mess with your feeding schedule and amounts. :)

When I bought my fish, they said I should give them ten (!) of those round pellets each! I've done so, but they are quite fat!

Do you call them pellets when they are round? They are red, green and yellow.

OldHag

I've got those and they are quite big compared to the ones I got now :( And I fed them all they could consume in 3 minutes so I guess i was overfeeding them too.I'm glad I went to a breeder or I might have fed them to the vet :) Maybe you should cut back to 4 pellets a fish too :D

I bought my fish at a gardener (he sells plants, pond fish and other fish too) and he feed his goldies ten each, so I hope it's right... :huh:

Here' s a pic of the food.

Wow, some of those pellets are tiny!

I had to laugh at the weekend coz my husband was looking to get some different food for the goldfish - any nearly ended up buying koi pellets for a pond! They were nearly bigger than the fish lol, tho i expect Berry would still have tried to eat them, he's a real greedy guts! I never understood the 5 min rule because everything i put in the tank is either eaten before it hits the bottom or left til i've gone when they look for it, they won't look for it before incase i drop any more in - very inteligent fish i have, maybe!

I bought my fish at a gardener (he sells plants, pond fish and other fish too) and he feed his goldies ten each, so I hope it's right... 

Those pellets are big.I'm not sure if you should be feeding them 10 each :unsure: I hope someone comes along and help :)

Rachel,

I feed my fish 2 times a day.I've heard that small meals 2x a day is better for the GFs to digest since they do not have stomachs :)

I'm thinking of cutting back some. They steal food from Maxi too, his powderized food is easy to suck through the net. They also have peas in the evening. It' hard to see their hungry looks, though...

OldHag