Setting Up A Prefab Pond

KYskipjack

I'm a total pond newby!!! I have a 300 gallon pre-fab pond I'm going to set up on my deck for my goldies this year. I live in zone 6, it stays around 35-45 degrees now, with some days going up to 55-60.

When can I start to cycle the pond? Can anyone recommend what kind and size filter, and if there is any good cheap online sources? My fish store carries Pondmaster filters, for around 150.00. And last of all, when can my guys go into the pond? The last frost date here is May 1st.

:krazy: (protective fish mommy) I want to do good for my guys, and make sure all is right before they go into the new home.

Robin

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Robin! I would wait a little longer to start cycling the pond - if its still getting cool like that, the beneficial bacteria will not develop properly. But if you have any tanks indoors, you can put new filter media with the old one in one of your tanks or existing filter, and it will cycle while you wait for the weather to get warmer. Those temps you mentioned, are those night temps?

As for filters, I love those round green pond filters from Tetra. Tetra pond filter They come in a bigger size as well, and you can stuff it full with extra media. I like it because it does airate the water as it comes into the filter, which is great for the beneficial bacteria.

I wouldn't put out fish into the pond too soon, especially if they have been kept indoors in warmer water. Fish are very adaptable to temperatures, and mine stay out all "winter" (well, as much as Florida winter gets anyway :lol: ) but they are used to the temperature drop gradually. If they go from indoors to outdoors temps too fast, it can shock them and cause all kinds of parasitic problems like Ich, even dropsy. How warm is their indoors water temperature?

It's still getting down into the low 30's at night, and up into the high 40's, low 50's during the day. That's going to change fast in the next couple of weeks, jumping to lows in the 50's to highs in the 60'-70's, with some drops to colder temps.

My indoor temp is 72', and has been stable all winter. Can I start to cycle the pond when night temps hit 40's-50's? Do I need to wait till outside water is in the upper 60's- low 70's?

Robin

No, you don't have to wait that long with the cycling. 50s do sound better than 30s. You have a change of adding some bio media to one of your established tanks/filters to speed it up a bit, and you have some handy when you need it?

Can I just put some of the old filters from my emperor 400 floating in the pond to help seed it? How about adding some of the existing ornaments (flower pots, shells) to the pond? Could also hang a mesh full of gravel from the aquarium in the pond. Doing all this, and if temps are OK, how soon could I add fish to the pond?

Robin

Robin, all 3 ideas are very good if you wonna seed the new tub with filter media. Especially an existing filter, as well as a handful of gravel, hold a huge load of beneficial bacteria.

Once the temperatures are bit warmer, what I would do is get a bucket (never used for cleaning), fill it halfway up with the tank water the fish are in, then put the fish into the bucket. Add an airstone, since they are gonna stay in there for an hour or so. Then add a cup of water from their new home. Let them get used to the new water, and a bit lower temperatures, and keep adding one cup at the time of the water from the tub. Once the bucket is full, empty half of the water again, and continue adding the new water.

You also can let the bucket float in the new home, all that will help getting them used to any temperature differences between their old tank and the new tub.