Went To A Koi Show Tonight!

jsrtist

We get a koi show here in Fresno twice a year, just for a weekend, and I missed it the last time. My friend found out about it and told me and we went tonight! It was very small, very laid back but still really fun and interesting to see the different fish. I took lots of pictures and wanted to share my favorites. Some of the koi were for sale at great prices, but most were just for show. Some of them were a good 3 feet long! They were so gorgeous. They were so adorable, too! They kept coming up to us. I just wanted to take them all home. Hope you enjoy the pictures.

post-19-1065932381.jpg

Jen, the pics dont seem to show up for me. All I see is a red X...

Shows are always a welcome family trip, no matter how big or small it is. As long as there are fish in there, I frankly dont care!

Tampa Bay show was last weekend, and it was all koi. I would have gone, and emailed the guy in charge to inquire about anybody selling goldfish over there, and for some strange reason he answered me back sort of like goldfish wasnt something worth having on a show. So I figured I just sit this one out. I dont need this!

Glad you had a great time!! :)

Those are gorgeous koi! And my favorite, the black/white ones! Now, if they come in butterfly, I take 3! :lol:

Thanks for all of the pictures. I can never see enough of them.

If you can post some pics of your babies I could identify them for you. And if you think goldfish change colors just wait and see how koi develop.

Thanks Jetman. Unfortunately I dont have pics of the babies. Theyre living down in my parents' pond, not with me. I'll try and get some pics the next time Im there during the day (I always go at night, it seems). I'll describe them and maybe you can help. Also I was wondering, the matte white one I posted earlier with the mirror scales, do you know what type that is? I just loved that fish!

Two of my babies are red and black. One is I believe the gold Ogon, very bright yellow and metallic. Another is calico, with just random patterns. I dont think its really any specific type. Another is blue with black spots down his back. He was one of my favorites and I hope he makes it. He was really small. Another is just pure white metallic, with a silver head. Its just gorgeous and I really want to get a pic of him to show you all.

Its actually a funny story how I came across these baby koi. At our store a couple weekends ago we got a shipment of baby koi along with our large feeder goldfish. The fair has been in town so people kept ordering 1000 goldfish from us, and while we were counting them out we noticed there were tons of koi in with them! My boss said I could have as many as I wanted at the feeder price (25 cents!) as long as they were for me and not to sell or anything. So we went through and picked out some of the best ones and I took them down to our pond. My parents are getting annoyed with me bringing so many fish to them! LOL Im like, well Im out of room in my tanks, I'll just add to our (understocked) pond! I cant wait till they all start to grow. Theyre about 3 inches long right now.

Of all the pictures you posted you ask me too ID the one I don't know. Thanks alot. LOL That is definately not the type of koi you come across everyday.

I can tell you that it is considered a DOITSU fish which means scaleless however almost all doitsu fish have a line of scales down the back and also a line of scales along the lateral line. Do a search for shusui and you will find some beautiful examples of doitsu fish.

The calico one you are talking about is probably showa or sanke. Showa and sanke are basically three colored fish(red, black, and white) with the showa having heavy black markings on the body and head. Sanke should have no black in the head.

Red and black fish with no white at all are probably hi utsuri which are kind of rare these days. I think you got the ogon right. Ogons are also known as yamabukis and can get quite large. The blue one with black spots I have no idea but it sounds like it might turn into an all black fish. Does it look like the blue is under the skin? If that is the case you probably will have an all black koi in the future.

Thats the best guesses I can give without pictures and that beautiful black and white one you have a pic of is a very nice looking shiro utsuri.

Thanks again for the pics and I hope your parents enjoy them. My guess is they will be close too a foot long by this time next year.

• Admin

Dude you went with out tell me JS.....bad JS :cry ......Oh man I wish there was shows here :) Great looking guys though. I would love to see your Koi to JS :)

Thanks Jetman!! LOL I'll do a search and see if I can ID that beautiful white one. And the blue/black one, the best way I can describe that coloring is that it looks like a calico with no red. That would be awesome if he turned out to be an all black koi. Ive only ever seen solid black babies and the ones at our store were turning gold before we could even sell them.

Koko if only you'd come a couple weeks earlier we could have gone together!!! And dont feel bad I didnt know about it until that day! It would have been really fun to go with you. Hopefully we can get together still and go sometime. And I still think there should be a Kokos goldfish convention where we all get together for a koi/goldfish show!

I'll post pics of the babies the next time I go see them.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived