Sign in to follow this  
ermidontknow

Question About Water Bills & Fish

ehh im not sure where to post this lol so forgive me if this isnt the right part to post this in

but im moving soon, and right now our water bill is paid by our landlord so i really have no clue how having fishtanks and replacing water in them affects the bill, but at our new house we're going to have to pay the water bill ourselves and i just want to..not be shocked if when the bill comes the fishtanks cause it to be high Lol

i have one 55 gallon tank, one 12 gallon tank, 2 ten gallon tanks, 1 five gallon tank, and 2 2.5 gallon tanks set up right now.

will siphoning & replacing water in these tanks regularly run up the water bill or does it not affect it so much?

just curious :)

Edited by ermidontknow

I have well water and live in a different state and area, so I cannot give you actual costs. But if you think about it - you have a little over 100 gallons of water in your tanks. So even if you replaced 100% of the water in them all every week, you are only useing 100 gallons a week.

The average shower takes between 50-80 gallons of water. A large bathtub holds 60 gallons. So you are talking about less than 2 showers. That should not be too much.

:)

Yes, you don't change all your water each week, and neither do you change water each day. It doesn't increase water bill that much.

I agree. It won't affect your bill.

Thats something I have often wondered about too. We have been in apartments and are hoping to move out on our own soon. (*approve our loans*?) I currently have a 100 gallon, 30 gallon, 30 gallon pond and 5.5 gallon (doestn really count). But I am hoping to build a 1000+ pond (I have my priorities?house paint? that can wait). I know that will probably run it up, at least a little.

all I know is that I haven't gotten yelled at by my mom and dad about the water bill, so it can't be that much! :yeah:

my water bill has gone up slightly since i have had GF

well in the uk you pay i think about 22 pounds 45$ for your water and what ever you boil as you need eg gas to boil water so really you paying for the gas to boil the water i think thats how it works

The only time my water bill goes up is in the summer when I have to water my garden--it never rains then and it is 100+F.

Like others said, the water for water changes is insignificant--less than a bath or shower.

:D

I don't think the water usage is enough to upt the bill all that much.

We used to live in a doublex (rented it), and I had enormous tanks running there (165, 125, 3x75, 2x55, an 3000 gl pond, an 600 gl pond, and 2 200 gl ponds. Now, back then the water bill was around 100$ higher than without the "water issues" :rolleyes: But remember, those are huge loads of water, and my hubby did frequent water changes on the ponds....

Here we run on well water now, so besides the costs for running the well pump I wouldn't know how high the water costs would be.. :)

Personlly if my water bill has gone up it is nothing compaired to the amount i spend monthly on food and supplies for my goldies. :krazy:

Here is my theory ...

Fish are my hobby. Everyone needs a hobby for their mental health. Now, I could golf, or collect stamps or well, you can fill in the blank.

But, I keep fish, and it is worth every penny, since it keeps me sane. :D

So, that is my theory, and I'm sticking to it :lol:

Thats so true, touchofsky! So many people have really expensive hobbies, collections of all kinds, and spend way more on those than we ever could on water or new fish.

My hubby collects coins, and those aren't cheap either sometimes.

what if your hobby was collecting rare antiques you would be in a bit of bother then