Sign in to follow this  
Guest Helpimafish

My Golfish Had Fry But They Didnt Grow Properly

Guest Helpimafish

They hatched from their eggs right, on the 13 of jan last year i had about 65 but one by one they mysteriously they died. Untill the last on died some when in september the same year. So it was about 9 months old and was still only 1cm long including tail and fins ect.

Why would this have happened what did i do that was wrong so I can prevent this from happening next time? :cry1

Guest Helpimafish

And the mother was a fantail and the farther was either a shubunkin or a yellow golfish.

some of the fry had fantails and others didnt

Hi Helpimafish. So sorry about losing all your fry. :cry1 I wish I could give you an answer. I had 27 fry, my first, and they got fungus. I lost all of mine too but mine didn't live as long as yours. Maybe if you can describe their living environment someone may be able to help figure out what happend.

I do know that situation... :cry1 My fry didn't grow properly either, just one of them. I don't know why, that was my first try...

OldHag

There are lots of aspects on what makes a hatch successful, and what hinders growing. So many things need to be considered - the space, water quality, simply genetics as well, how much and how frequent they got food, water changes, etc. If you can tell us where they were housed, the water change habit and feeding habit, maybe we can pinpoint the factors a little bit better.... :)

Guest Helpimafish

HI when I first noticed the eggs I moved them into a square bucket, I only put about I dont know 2 litres of water in, i didnt sort out the unfertillised eggs that 1 thing i did wrong. Then 60 eggs hatched to be fry, I went on the internet to find out how to keep fry so i fed them hard boiled egg yolk crush, but they didnt seem to eat it.

after a while the tank got realy mucky so i had to clean it. It went on for months with hardly an size change and by then many started to die, I moved the fry into about a 5 gal tank as i thout they would need room to grow. I broght sum baby goldfish food wich was loads of tiny tiny flakes but that just seemed to make the surface dirty so i had to clean them out more which was probably bad.

I didnt have a filter or pump on the tank because i didnt know which size to get because i was worried that they would get sucked up. I probaby did every thing wrong, but that was the first time i ever had to look after fry and thanks to you guys and this web site If they have babies again i will be able to probably look after them better.

Oh, now the picture is much clearer! :)

Where it went wrong was somewhere around the time they got fed with the egg yolk stuff. That clouds your water really bad, and I try to stay away from it. If nothing else, the fry food called "liquifry for lifebearers" is so much better, and cleaner too.

Then there is the filter thing - the best and safest one for fry are simple sponge filters. Its nothing but a piece of sponge, connected via an airline tubing to an airpump. The pump pushes air through the airline down the sponge, and because of the suction when the air goes back up to the surface, the sponge sucks up debris from the tank bottom. Its mostly a biological filtration, but since most of the gunk collects under the sponge, its somewhat mechanical too. With that kind of filter the fry don't end up getting sucked up into anything, its gentle enough for them.

With no filter whatsoever its very hard to keep the water quality up and perfect, which is what the fry need for perfect development. Imagine, the heavy feedings, and no filter = decreasing water quality.

They also would have needed a bigger tank over time, since the space you provide for them is important in their growth potential. The bigger, the better. They are fine in a little bucket for a week or two, but after that its off into a bigger home, with shallow water at first and that sponge filter, and over time keep adding more and more water. Frequent water changes are also good for them, since they need to be fed around 4-5 times a day. If the water for the change was the same temperature and dechlorinated, then it was perfect for them.

The baby goldfish food was fine, try supplementing the fry next time with newly hatched brine shrimp eggs (you can do that yourself or buy some frozen newly hatched ones at Petsupermarket in the freezer section, its a new thing there).

Those little buggers are sure a ton of work for the 6 months or so, everything evolves around feeding and water changes, and then some more food and water changes.... :lol:

All in all, with your very first batch and nobody to help you in correctly raising them, you did good and still have some from that batch! A lot of us do a lot of mistakes the first time around anyhow, nobody is perfect. I don't even wonna mention the stuff I did with my first batch! Thank goodness they can't talk! :thud

My shubunkins did their thing a few days ago, and the eggs just started to hatch today. From my first count, looks like around 200. And I already have the brine shrimp hatchery going and ordered some excellent baby food for them - a microworm starter kit. Those are really great - easy to digest, even for the smallest fish, nutricious, and I can get the starter kit going and going. Look at Aquabid.com in the live food section for helpful starter kits. Sponge filters are cycled and ready to go, and the bigger containers are standing in line when its time to give them a bigger home. It doesn't have to be an expensive tank, a good sized rubbermaid will do - anything 30-50 gl goes a very long way....

If I missed anything, give me a buzz.... :)

Guest Helpimafish

Thankyou for the info. If they have babys again this year then I will now no exactly wat to do. : :D

Guest FruitSim

Nice thread, sorry about your little ones Helpimafish, I had 18 fry last year (1st time) and lost them all when I started feeding them the egg powder. From what I could see the power stuck to them and possibly even sufficated one of them :(

I also think I had a problem with the water temperature. I hope I get the chance to raise these lil' fishies again!!! Both my wife and I were very excited and of course very upset that they didn't make it :(

Ranchugirl: Nice reply, made a lot of sense, thanx :)

Guest FruitSim

Nice thread, sorry about your little ones Helpimafish, I had 18 fry last year (1st time) and lost them all when I started feeding them the egg powder. From what I could see the power stuck to them and possibly even sufficated one of them :(

I also think I had a problem with the water temperature. I hope I get the chance to raise these lil' fishies again!!! Both my wife and I were very excited and of course very upset that they didn't make it :(

Guest FruitSim

Guest Helpimafish

Hi fruitsim sorry about your batch last year its sad when they all die after all of the raising :cry1

But I am realy hoping that they will breed again this year, I cant w8 to have the lil bundels of joy again :krazy: