Sign in to follow this  
Guest MistyMina

Gravel Stuck In Mouth

Guest MistyMina

Hi, I've just noticed one of my orandas pointing downward at the bottom of the tank, mouth to gravel, tail upwards. On closer inspection he seems to have a large-ish piece of gravel stuck in his mouth. Is there any way I can remove it without hurting him? He's not hand tame or anything, and I've never even tried holding a fish before!!! Can he choke like this?

Mina

ive had a few fish get gravel stuck in their mouths and everytime they were able to spit it out on their own eventually. i tried to get it out with tweezers but if it doesnt work dont worry too much, just turn the tank light off and wait. one of my fish it took like 12 hours for him to spit the rock out, but he did somehow

but if you do try to pull it out with tweezers if you hold the fish right behind its pectoral fins firmly, it shouldnt be able to wiggle too much and if you hold him like half still in the water so he doesnt freak out ive found that makes it easier to try to get the rock out too

good luck :)

the tweezer worked well for mine too. My pearscale isn't hand tame either. We (my husband held while I tweezed) put some tank water in a rectangular dish so that if we couldn't get the pebble out the first time we didn't keep him out of the water long. Once we took him out of the water he opened his mouth wide and we were able to see it and get it out. The pebble was lodged in there in such a way that it would not have come out on it's own.

Good luck.....

Edited by lcwinne

Guest MistyMina

Thanks for your reply, he did eventually manage to spit it out! Much to my relief!!! I did panic tho! :krazy: Can you tell I'm new to fish keeping?!!! :blink:

I think it was the way he was positioned that freaked me out, he looked 'stuck'

He's still picking up gravel tho, don't they ever learn!!!! lol

Thanks again!

Mina

they never learn....I just went to bigger gravel. I hear that river rock is good!!! :D