Sign in to follow this  
ermidontknow

Bubble Eye With Dorsal Fin?

i thought they werent supposed to have dorsal fins?

the one i bought today does though, i thought it was cute lol it reminds me of a little sharks fin or something lol

392_9285.jpg

392_9292.jpg

does that mean shes a mix of breeds or something? :blink:

No, bubble eyes don't have dorsal fins, that one was probably a cull.

On the other hand, your fish is unique. :)

wow!that is one cute bubble eye :) lucky you :lol:

I think the dorsal fin looks adorable :heart

i think a cull is a fish, of not breed standard, and these fish mainly get killed. :(

Wow! That is unique. You can see that it has a really tiny dorsal fin. Why not try to cross breed it with a fantail or something. You can develop a new breed of goldfish and name it after yourself. :D

I think he is charming in his own way. You also have taken a beautiful picture! You should take some shots of your fish and send them in for Picture of the Week. Great photography like that should be shared. :)

The dorsal fin was bred out of the genetic makeup of dosal-less breeds - like Ranchu, Lionhead, Celestial, Bubbleeye. But, the dorsal fin is a part of the fish that is basic, so one of the more common "faults" found in dorsal-less fish is the appearance of a fin - or in most cases, a rudimentary dorsal fin.

Breeders who are breeding fish and wish to keep the breed of a fish true to conformation will cull, or pull out any fry that develop in a fashion that does not represent the breed they are. These "culls" are either sold to pet shops or fed to other fish or killed. It takes a lot of water and time to raise a fish to adulthood, and many breeders simply do not have the room or time to waste on a fish they do not consider "worthy". A dorsal fin would be considered a substantial flaw in a BubbleEye fish - a breeder would not breed that fish, and could not show the fish.

This does not mean that it is not a very fine fish - even purebred BubbleEye - and perfectly beautiful in your eyes or any fish lover. I love my fish and cats - whether or not they are considered "show quality" or even true to breed conformations.

:)

My Sharky has a fin like that! lol

Guest sourmilknightmares

I saw a large lionhead at the LPS that had a dorsal fin. It also had a back like a ryukin but it had a nice head growth. It was very creepy. Your bubble eye is very cute though! It does look like a little shark fin!

In asia, bubble eyes are bred with and without a dorsal fin. But dont count on entering that beauty in any shows lol. He is quite adorable though... :heart