Sign in to follow this  
ermidontknow

Very Very Hurt Fish

:cry1 oh my god im in tears right now..i JUST bought a tiny black moor and put him in the tank and he was fine but i just looked at him and its been not even a few hours and he has no eyes and only one pectoral fin left and the rest of his fins are very very torn up :cry1 i quickly moved him into the q. tank because i dont know who beat him up but omg hes alive still and i feel so horrible what do i do? :cry1 Edited by ermidontknow

Oh honey, what a terrible thing! Do NOT blame yourself though: there is no way you could have known this would happen.

OK, for physical wounds like this it would be best simply to keep him in isolation until he has recovered, keep his water quality absolutely PERFECT and salt the water gradually up to 0.3%. This is partly to help him osmoregulate at the wound sites and partly to help prevent any secondary infections. Hold it at that level until you see the wounds healing, then gradually reduce it back down. Do not add any other medications - they are not needed and will only increase his osmotic stress. Do not feed him for a couple of days - let him get over his initial shock and stress and find his way around the Q-tank. When you start feeding put small tiny bits of food on the bottom where he will come across them as he is nosing around, or see if he will accept morsels from your fingertips. Increase the tank temp a little if you can (up to mid-70's) to boost his metabolism and help him recover. He may be too stressed to survive if he is very tiny. If he does not make it, please do not blame yourself.

He will be very shocked and therefore his activity will probably be minimal for the next couple of days. Don't panic - give him time to adjust. Remember: fish are unable to feel deep pain, so he is not suffering as much as you think he might be. He probably looks worse than he feels. Even the missing eyes are not a complete disaster; once they have had a few days to adjust, blind goldfish can move around their tank and find food without any problems.

I certainly would not keep him in your main tank again however. Not just because of risk of further injury, but also because as a blind fish he will not be able to compete with the sighted fish for food and will miss out at dinner times.

Hope this helps. I wish I was there in person to help you through this. :hug

Edited by emmahj

Put him in a bare bottom tank and drop food near him. Add salt and melafix. Fish find food by their sense of smell and he'll heal up. My moor lost an eye too, now it's just fine (though a bit clumsy). :)

thank you so much for your help guys, i did put salt in the tank through out the day but he was just too hurt i guess and he passed away a little while ago :cry1

I'm so sorry for your loss :cry1 I hope you feel better soon :flowers

Oh the poor little baby :o I dare say it was the shock that killed him rather than his injuries. I imagine you are in shock and disbelief atm as well. It was such a dreadful thing to happen but there was no way you could have anticipated such a reaction from your fish. I'm very sorry for your loss. :(

So sorry to read about this Erm! There's no way, as everyone has pointed out, that you could know how the other fish would re-act to a little new one!

Hugs girl, you need a big one!

Edited by Tamianth

Sweetheart, I am so sorry. :cry1 This was not your fault at all but I know that doesn't make the situation any better. I hope you feel better soon.

Maybe it would be best not to put any small new GF in your main tank again; obviously your guys are a bit rough and tough! Choose fish equal to their size as these are less likely to get picked on.

:hug

Guest kratz99

I'm sorry about your loss. I agree with everybody else, it's not your fault. Everybody has lost a fish, at least once, and we all know how you feel.

So Sorry,

ginger

So sorry about your little fish. You just could not have known they were going to do that. Sometimes its hard to figure out why they do this sometimes.

:tou

Like everyone said sorry about you fish :cry2:

I hope you feel better soon...