Sign in to follow this  
ermidontknow

Bully Fish?

my female ryukin has been chased relentlessly by my male ryukin lately but hes really fat so he cant really swim fast enough to completely catch up with her so it was fine, and then i bought a small male fantail yesterday and he is INSANE lol i have never seen a goldfish swim as fast as he does..i mean he can go from one end of the 55 gal to another in like a second. and hes chasing after my female ryukin now too, but he Can catch up to her and when he does he like pecks at her all over and it looks like its hurting her :blink: i moved the fantail into my quaratine tank but hum. is it safe to put him back in the big tank and just let him chase n peck at the ryukin or will it hurt her? her tails all torn up now from the 2 of them picking at her and im not sure what to do :blink:

You should put 2 females in the 55G instead of 2 males and 1 female, but nevermind you could take it back to your lfs. Or buy a heater and turn it to 20c slowly(turn up 1 degrees every 12 hrs),thats what my lfs told me when i had that problem, and as for the cut on the fins get some melafix it'll fix the torn really fast.

thats like a breeding mating ritual. you can separate them if you fear the male that it might hurt the female any further.

We recently got a new fish called Bill and put him in with Goldie, Bert and Dave and he did exactly as your describing. <_<

I couldn't stand to watch him, seeing the others suffer and be driven mad by him, and so I took him back to the LFS and they said it sounds as if he is just getting amorous! :o

Anyhow, he was duly given back and we got two other fish instead (Jenson and Bill #2!) and there is complete peace and tranquility in the tank once more :rolleyes:

You should put 2 females in the 55G instead of 2 males and 1 female, but nevermind you could take it back to your lfs. Or buy a heater and turn it to 20c slowly(turn up 1 degrees every 12 hrs),thats what my lfs told me when i had that problem, and as for the cut on the fins get some melafix it'll fix the torn really fast.

You do know rising temperatures are what causes breeding in the first place.

fishbert- if i lower the temp in my tank somehow would it make the male goldies stop chasing the female? its at 77 degrees fahrenheit right now, although how i dont know since its winter lol

There isn't a specific temperature. Try lowering it.

Or you could put the offending male in a floating basket and see if he's going to learn his lesson.