Downsizing A Tank

Athena

I have to downsize :( I have a twenty gallon with one small about 1.5 inch red cap oranda in it. I want to downsize it to a ten gallon and use the twenty gallon for my rainbow sharks.

How is the maintenance for a ten gallon? Are the water parameters harder to maintain?

i would think it would be, as its smaller, but having one fish in it shouldnt be too bad IMO. You might have to do more frequent water changes as he gets bigger. But since he is small i dont think it would be much harder to upkeep. Good Luck

My nan has two orandas in a ten gallon and it's fine. Regular water changes and water testing is a hassle but nan hasnt got room for a bigger tank. I am donating my 13 gallon to her in a couple of months which will help a bit :huh:

Oh man! I don't know what to do!!! :( I mean I don't want him to suffer or anything but at the same time my three rainbow sharks are in a 6 gallon tank!!! I don't know. I don't really want to keep the rainbow sharks but my stepdad can't take them right now and so I am forced to take them. I feel really bad for the rainbow sharks but they seem to be doing okay with regular water changes. Sigh

Your little guy will be fine in a 10 gallon, youd just have to do regular water changes, a bit more often then you did in the 20g. Hes so little, he will be fine!

The 'sharks' are my concren, they will not do well in that itty bitty tank, dont they grow to be like a foot long? The goldy i can garentee will do much better in a 10 gallon then 3 false sharks.

The sharks do become aggressive and very territorial as they grow and Im afraid even a 20 wont do for all 3 of them when they get bigger. To avoid problems you would need more like a 50 gallon to keep all 3. For now the 20 is much better for them but eventually they will outgrow it.

In the meantime the little goldie should be fine by himself in the 10 gallon. I use those as growout tanks all the time. :)

Archived