Cataracts

Athena

Hi Icwinne,

Kathy has given you good advice and you should check the various parameters as she suggested. However, I would like ask a question as well. Is the grey cloudiness inside the eye like the pictures attached? That is fish cataract and this is about 70%. They will start by just being a bit cloudy and then progress until it is totally opaque and the fish is effectively blind.

I only suggesting this because you said that he has been like that for a while but progressive got worst but there does not seemed to be any obvious symptoms related to infections. It is only a guess and other causes are just as valid at this point in time.

post-4742-1107864285_thumb.jpg

Captk posted a pic of cataracts in the disease forum. I'm really curious about this pic. My black moor seems to have white centers in the black part of his eye. The white centers are not truly white. They seem like they are deep within the black part. Does that make sense? I'm wondering if anyone thinks that this is the beginning of cataracts.

Argh! Won't let me edit!!! Anyways. I notice also that as time goes on my black moor relies on his two buddies to guide him to food. Also, my comet will push him towards food as well. So, I'm wondering if all this behaviour is because his sight is getting worse... :(

Athena...

I also received good advice from Kathy, that the change in eye coloring could be due to a possible bacterial infection. The first thing asked of me was my tank parameters. I'm still pretty new with my own fish and everyone on this site has been wonderful with their advice to help me with my questions.

My black ranchu seems to rely on the others' movements to indicate feeding time. He "flutters" about aimlessly till he discovers what is going on ( kind of like chicken little), then heads for the top to get his share. I've been watching him more closely to make sure that he is eating enough. :feedme

Not ever really wanting to deal with the "fish scene", thanks to my son, we now have six fancy golds that have been a real source of entertainment. It's amazing to me how they interact with each other (& us) and the fact that you have one who will help your Moore to food reassures me that they have more personality than they are given credit for. :goldfish: After all they are JUST FISH, right???? Or so I once thought.

Forgive me...I've seen the errors of my ways!!!

:fishtank:

Well, I thought that it was a bacterial infection too. But, the white colouring is deep within the black part of her eyes. She did have a bacterial infection before but the white part covered her eyes. As a precaution I treated her with a general antibiotic treatment and then I did a salt treatment. She was way more active afterwards but the white in her eyes did not go away.

So, how do you know if it's a parasite or a bacterial infection? I've already treated for a bacterial infection but there seem to be no signs of parasites. How do I know if it's parasites?

This is the only thing that I found that seems to be what my goldie's going through:

Courtesy of: http://www.fishyfarmacy.com/fish_diseases/eyes.html

E. The entire eye becomes cloudy from the inside out Could be a parasite, i.e., worms, flukes Check the tank for parasites. If found, treat the entire tank with Praziquantel -or- De-Los. The fish may lose it's eye.

The fish have a Gram Negative Bacterial infection Isolate the fish and treat with Gentamycin.

Gah, now that I'm looking at her eyes they look different. I don't know. Well she's always been more sensitive to changes than the other two. :krazy: I only see a small crescent shaped white thing in the black part of one eye now. Also, I forgot to mention that she had some damage on her head. I have no idea what happened but it's healing now.

Archived