Fry Floaty

coyote ugly

I started a thread on the temp board about my fry being floaty and I thought I'd update :D

I took some tank water and asked the lfs to check nitrates for me and they told me they don't provide that kind of service :blink: I have been doing 20% water changes everyday and feeding peas once every other day since then and now it's swimming fine.I just wanted to say thank you to everyone that helped me out :rolleyes:

Wow, Cathy, that is great news! Wonderful! But not providing a simple service of a water test??? :hmm

Thats good! Are your fry of the same size? Are you going to keep all?

My smallest fry are mostly sitting on the bottom now. I think there's something wrong that I cannot do anything about. The big fry is acting strange sometimes too. Just have to wait and see.

OldHag

But not providing a simple service of a water test???

:blink::huh: :angry: can you believe them?The manager was soooo not friendly <_<

Are your fry of the same size? Are you going to keep all?

2 of them are almost the same size(3 cm)and the other two are smaller(1.5~2 cm)

1 of the big one was the one that got floaty and he's really fat compared to the others.Planning to keep them all since only four are left. Good Luck with your babies.By the way,have you checked your water quality?This may be a reason why they stay at the bottom :(

Thanks everyone

Yes, I have checked the water quality, and I clean the fry cage everyday. I don't think there's anymore to do. It's just so sad to see the small fry wiggling up to take some food and down to rest. It just won't grow anymore. It must be some physical defect. I don't want to let the big fry "Maxi" out to their parents yet,so the small one have the cage alone, then I might end up with two dead fry instead.

Maxi looks okay, just like a mini goldie, his back is dark and the belly is turning silver! I just hope he are in good health. As you said, your biggest and fattest fry had problems...

I hope all your fry are growing good and not getting smaller and thinner like some of mine...

Good Luck

OldHag

Thank you and good luck to you too :)

How big is maxi?Chances are if you put him with the big ones,he'll be snack :blink: Try not to worry too much.He's still eating,right? :unsure:

Hi. Maxi is about 2,5 cm, he eats well and swims good. Everything seems to be alright with him. The pale fry is up and swimming and it eats to. I think I know whats wrong, there is a little crook on the back. Maybe it's enough to cause that wiggling swimming problem and the not growing problem. I've lowered the water level and gave them vitamins on their food, but against a crooked back there's nothing you can do... ?

It's just so sad to look at them, to see the difference, one looks like a small fish and the other is a tiny pink fry with two black eyes, and yet they are the same age... it makes me wanna cry... but it just struggles on, it wants to live...

Well, if something happens, I'll let you know...

By the way, can you see my pictures in the signature? They are so small.

OldHag

I'm so sorry to hear about you little fry. :(

My Johanii cichlid "gave birth" to 17 frys 3 days ago. One of them has a bend back. It was okay at first but we found him dead the next day. I think it was natural selection in action.

can you see my pictures in the signature? They are so small.

yes I can see them.Is one of it Maxi?I think frys with crooked backs are culled for this reason.I had some with that problem and not one survived a week :( I don't know why but they just didn't make it.Your baby is a real fighter to live this long.You'll never know,maybe she'll make it after all :) Good Luck!!

Yes, the one to the right is Maxi. The left fry, Mini, died last week for no reason at all... :cry1

I had to put down the pale fry today, I couldn't watch it's struggling moves anymore. I'm sure it was suffering, it was hardly nothing left of it... it was terrible

Now I only have Maxi left, I hope he'll survive and make it to the pond this summer. He is a strange fish, but so beautiful...

I'll try to take more and better pictures of him.

OldHag

I'm so sorry about your fish :cry1 Don't feel bad...I'm sure you did the right thing if you know that it is suffering. Good luck with Maxi :) I'm crossing my fingers for you that he grows healthy.Can't wait to see the pics.

Glad to hear you got the floaty problem under control Cathy.

Old Hag, so sorry about your fry :cry1 I know how sad you feel. At least you have Maxi left. Hopefully he will be healthy. :hug

I have a picture to show the difference between the two fry. minne.jpg

On the bad fry, the fins weren't properly developed and there was a crook on the back. I'm sure life was painful for the fry, but anyway I cried and I still miss it... so stupid...

I have joined Photobucket now and I hope you can see my pictures.

OldSadHag

so stupid...

No it's not. It does make you feel sad. I felt so sad when my fry got that fungus and I couldn't get rid of it. Watched them die 1 at a time.

Try not to be too sad and focus on Maxie. Maxie is going to be your very special fish because you raised him from an egg and he's the one who survived.

:flowers

Yes, I care for Maxi and I speak to him so he shouldn't feel alone. He can see his parents swim along but as they still see him as food, I think he is afraid of them. Can you see the picture? I still wonder if someone can tell what was wrong with that fry, that little pink thing to the left. It's Maxi to the right.

Sorry, I can't see the picture good enough to guess what might have been wrong with him.

Maxie is doing so good, he'll get big enough soon so he can swim with the others.

I noticed a lot of my fry had crooked spines. If the fungus had not got them I probably would have had to euthanise many of them.

Thanks anyway for your encouraging words. I need that. I will now concentrate on Maxi and try to give him the best. Thanks, Coyote Ugly, and sorry for stealing your thread. I seem to be doing that all the time... ! :crp

OldHag

Thanks, Coyote Ugly, and sorry for stealing your thread.

you're not stealing anything from me.you're just seeking for help like most of us here.I don't really mind so you don't have to be sorry :D I hope Maxi's doing okay...My second big fry is growing fast he's now the biggest :blink:

Archived