I Found A

smack536

I was cleaning my filter innards and found a small, oval shaped snail lurking in there.....I thought it was gravel untill it started crawling out of the sink.....

what kind of snail is this...its tan-ish brown and smaller than a kernel of corn.....

please tell me these things are not asexual!!!!!

Sounds like a Physid of some sort...small chance it could be something else, but if you never intentionally added snails, chances are it is a Physid. Physids are not asexual (generally speaking, there are a few loopholes to that), but 1 can turn into a jillion if the snail mated prior to winding up in your tank. Also, usually where there's one there's more with those guys since they tend to be braught in as an egg cluch on something.

Physids are not asexual (generally speaking, there are a few loopholes to that), but 1 can turn into a jillion if the snail mated prior to winding up in your tank. Also, usually where there's one there's more with those guys since they tend to be braught in as an egg cluch on something.

Uh Oh :huh: Prepare yourself for the snail invasion smack536 :blink:

oh...I think im gonna be sick!!!!! :stars :

I just got rid of the last of my red ramshorns......

no more creepy little snail invasions!!!! :hide:

:yikes noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.....

thats probably why i cant find the little sucker...hes off laying eggs somewhere.... :blowup:

Populate lol that's what Physa acuta do best :lol: that is presuming of course that it isn't a lone snail that has never mated...in which case it may or may not populate. Near as I can tell, for a non-puffer non-clown loach tank, Physid outbreaks are a right of passage for any tank to go through at some point. There are plenty of biological control mechanisms thankfully. You probably shouldn't have gotten rid of the ramshorns, they are what are best for keeping Physids in check...

Guest hamstaman

they do, but tehy are male and female just like garden snails. Garden snails mate with each other but both parents give birth. A physa could have babies on its own if it was isolated by itself in a fluorishing tank of food and space.

• 2 weeks later...

They don't "turn into" different sexes. ... Don't trust the mmm guy. However, there have been one or 2 documented cases where in an all-male or all-female tank, a single snail has developed sex characteristics of the opposite gender and was able to reproduce. This is very rare however.

Archived