Shells Shells Shells

Athena

Hey guys! :D I got a bunch of shells from my stepdad and I'd like to use them in my tank. They're flat so they wouldn't trap any bad bacteria. What do you guys think? Will they change the water parameters or anything?

Yes, seashells will raise the kH and hardness of the water. If your not careful, you'll mess with the pH and cause some unwanted fluctuations. Unless, you just have a couple that you'd like to display in the tank, then i't would be relatively safe to do. Just make sure they dont have any sharp edges your goldie could cut itself on.

Hope this helps. :D

Sure thing. :D

kH is basically like a sponge. As your bio-filter converts ammonia on down to nitrAtes, nitric acids are produced and released into the water. Nitric acids are responsible for causing drops in pH if the kH isn't optimal. If the kH is optimal, the pH remains stable.

I like to look at kH as being the master of pH. The kH holds the pH on a short leash. Over time, nitrates (nitric acids) cause the leash to stretch out and allow the pH to wander further and further away from where it started.

If you were to start an aquarium with tankwater that has an excellent kH and pH and never did a single waterchange, the kH would drop and allow for the pH to drop as well. This is one of the most important reasons for waterchanges (besides nitrAtes). At every waterchange with water that has a good kH, you are effectively replacing any used up kH that is in the water and ensuring another week of nice, solid pH.

Heres a link that will explain this in detail. If you have any questions after reading this a couple times, don't hesitate to ask.......... ;)

pH, kH and their relationships

Dataguru (Betty) is much better at explaining these things than I am. Shes got a way with words that I seem to lack. Maybe she has a better way of explaining it......... :huh:

Hope this helps!

Thanks so much for the info Toothless! I understand perfectly now. I don't think that I want to use the shells as I don't really like affecting the water parameters in any way. I've always felt that if it isn't broke why fix it? :lol:

Archived