How Much Room Does A Betta Need

Incandisco

I was a little concerned today, when I went into a fish store near me.... they have all sorts of fish, and are generally good at advising on tank sizes, and sticking to them as well. However, I thought I'd go and take a look at the bettas, as the pictures I've seen on here are beautiful.

They had 10 bettas, all seperated from each other, in 6" x 6" x 6" divisions of a long display tank.

I know they sell a lot of these fish, and so they won't be more than a couple of days in those conditions, but what sort of space do they generally need to be happy? I'm not the sort to take up a "moral crusade", I am genuinely interested, and I think they are extremely beautiful fish. On the other hand, I'd hate to see a fish suffer.

Guest Luke Anderson

To be happy and healthy it is generally reccomended to not keep a betta in anything less than a 1 gallon container. However 1 or 2 gallons is much to unstable to cycle, so you need to do 100% water changes, and use amquel, or prime water conditioner (or similar), so there won't be detectable ammonia. You can cycle a 3+ gallon though :)

Gee those are the lucky betta - I have seen them in wine glasses less than half full around here or in little plastic continers with lids that could not hold over a cup full if they were filled and they weren't. :cry1

I have a betta in a 1 gal and it's a pain to keep the water regulated - constant water changes. I do it, though, because he's a beautiful fish and I'm quite fond of him. :) I plan to get him a little bigger tank sometime in the near future. I have a 2nd betta in a 3 gal and his is much easier to care for. :)

They really nead at least 1 gal, preferrably 3 to 5. I've heard that larger tanks atove 5gal can be stressful for the fish, because they're territorial and can't keep up with patrolling the whole tank... not sure if it's true or not, but 5 gal always seemed like plenty for a single betta anyway.

Yes.... the bettas at your lfs are lucky. The ones sold here are kept in about 3oz of water. :(

I've got my dude in a 10 gal with 2 cory catfish and he is just

a happy little fish.

Guest Supernova

You can use a great product called "Cycle" it can cycle a tank in a matter of days, I cycled my 29G in 24 hours! I have my betta in a 0.5g tank because he does fine in it and I can't afford anything else. I just pre-cycle my water for him before water changes and it is fine! The stuff is kind of expensive, about $5 a bottle, but it is well worth it.

Supernova, you are the first person who I've ever heard say that cycle works!!! And I know LOTS of people who have used it. Heck, I used it. It's commonly agreed upon that it's the wrong bacteria, and they're all dead... you NEVER had ammonia or nitrite spikes after using it? At first I thought it worked for me because I had some nitrates, but it turns out cycle itself has some nitrate in it. :rolleyes:

If you ever cycle another tank with it, I'd be interested in seeing your results... or if you kept a log the first time, let me know.

Guest Supernova

It took about 24 hours for my 29g to cycle completely. I did use about 1g of water from my 10g that was already cycled, and I used an old filter cartrage for about an hour before I replaced it. It always works for me, you just have to get the "new improved" cycle.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I have my male betta in a 5 gallon, I do 100% water change weekly in it. He's very happy there. I have a 10 gallon with 2 cory's and 2 female bettas (one I just added today). They seem to love the space and are happy. They are kept in the tiny cups at the pet stores here also. They always seem so happy to get out of them and swim around in their new home. I feel they enjoy having more space.

I am thinking of purchasing a 55 gallon and moving my 2 orandas from the 10 gallon into the 55 gallon.

I would then have a cycled 10 gallon available. Is this okay to put a beta in? Or do I have to start from scratch? How many betas can live comfortably in a 10 gallon?

(I guess I should do some investigating......)

As long as you know that your orandas were in good health, it would be okay to put a betta in. Can you adjust the flow on your filter? Bettas don't like a strong current. You can keep 1 male or 1 female, or 5 females in a ten gallon. The temperment of a betta differs from every individual, so if you keep a single betta, you might be able to keep a small school of tetras, a few snails, african dwarf frogs, or ghost shrimp etc if there are enough hiding places. Same with the female betta group. If you choose the female group option, make sure there are lots of hiding places, and introduce all the females to the tank at the same time. They'll build a hiearchy and hopefully there won't be any fights after the first couple days.

Archived