Should I Quarantine?

Incandisco

This weekend, I am going to buy some wisteria in little pots from my LFS. They have a large section, just for plants, and it's trickle fed with water from the other tanks in the store. There are no fish in the plant section, and all the plants look very healthy whenever I go in.

Do you think I should quarantine the new plants (ie, keep them out of the tank) for a few days, in their own little tank, or do I need to actually wash the plants or what? I'd hate to bring a disease into my newly cycled, and <touches wood> very healthy tank....

I absolutely love your signature quote!! It couldnt be said any better than that? I think I'll print that out and hang it up!

Anyway I always disinfect my plants before putting them in my tanks. You just never know what could be on them. I want to keep snails out of my main tank but I also want to keep out any parasites. I treat with Had a Snail first and then rinse, then I soak them for a few hours in a solution of potassium permanganate. I actually just use the Jungle Clear Water and leave it in a bucket until the water turns from dark purple to light brown. Then I rinse them under water again and then put them in my tanks. Its always worked for me. If you like snails in your tank then just skip the Had a Snail. :)

Cheers jsrtist ,

Just a quickie on top of this then... I'm in the UK, and have never seen "Had a snail" or "Jungle Clear Water" in my LFS. Anyone have any ideas of a translation of products and brands for the UK.

Thanks again, and I agree with you about the sig - I found that when one of our was sick - I just couldn't relax until it was over - that's how I found this site, and I'm glad to be around to try and help others now!

You can disinfect plants with a 19 part water, 1 part chlorine bleach solution. Tender plants 2 minutes (such as stem plants), tougher plants such as java fern can go 3 min, but 2 min is probably sufficient.

Then a good rinse, using dechlor if you want to be really safe, but if you have well water without chlorine, you can just rinse thoroughly, like about a million times roflol, and then into your tank.

This will also kill unwanted algae.

BTW, my goldfish eat all of the snails, unless I put in really large adults :D

• 11 months later...

I had some ramshorn and pond snails come in on plants. I think they're kinda cool, cept for being a pain in the butt when you vacuum the tank.

Took me about 3 months to get ramshorn snails established in my goldie tank till I finally realized they had to be BIG ramshorns not to be goldie food. They lay lots of clusters of eggs, but I never see any little snails. Free live goldie food. :)

Archived