Do My Fish Have Flukes?

Guest Fishy

When I cleaned my tank yesterday (20% water change, as usual), I saw some white wriggling creatures in the water - dozens and dozens of them :( I have not seen anything like it before. They were all only a few mm long with very narrow bodies and no discernable heads.

I have four very healthy-looking fantails in the tank who are not acting in the least bit ill. They are not flashing, scratching, gulping, clamping their fins or anything like that. I have had them for the past 2 1/2 years. The only thing I've changed in the tank was a new plant (introduced about 2 months ago). I did not see the worms when I cleaned out the tank 2-3 weeks ago. Also, the fish have not had any live foods (unless you count the food in gel?).

Should I be worried? I cannot see any of the 'worms' attached to the fish at all. The fish are all eating and pooing well! Can anyone hazard a guess about what the worms really are?

these will be planaria and are found in nearly all aquariums (and are harmless) but the amount depends on the amount of cleaning that is done. when changing water use a gravel vac and cut back a bit on feeding.

how often do you do water changes and how? and how often do you feed your fish?

Thanks for your reply. I was worried that they might be dangerous. I tend to clean the tank every two weeks which includes a 'window clean', a gravel vac and a 20% water change. I feed the fish once a day. The tank is crowded, which I am not happy about but I am not able to upgragde at the mo.

Would you recommend that I do a really thorough clean out with removing gravel etc. or should I just clean out more regularly? I will cut back on the amount that I do feed.

Do you think the planaria were introduced with a plant? or have they always been there in small quantities?