Snails And Calcium

kit2004

My ph is 7.8, do I still need calcium in my water for my snails? I can't get Kents Liquid Calcium here but I found my local Countrymax sells cuttlebones without the medal attached to it, will this cuttlebone cloud my water when it breaks down? Also, my goldfish are very curious critters, would this affect them as well as my Bristlenose? I stuck in a slice of cucumber over night and and the whole center of it was gone by morning :D not sure if it was the snails or "Pleco"

A concerned mom

thanks

:DYour PH reading is a good indicator for deciding if you need extra calcium or not. As long as your PH sits between 7 and 8,you should be fine without it. Once it goes below a PH of 7,is when your snail can end up getting shell damage from too soft water(which is low in calcium) :D

Even though your pH may be high, it still will benefit the snail to add calcium. Cuttlebone has never clouded my water or bothered my goldfish or other fish. I don't have a pleco, but I wouldn't imagine that it would bug him. You can never really have too much calcium. I add 20 drops of Kent's each day, I have a chunk of cuttlebone in the tank, and my pH is roughly 7.5 (it doesn't read higher than that). If I were you I'd add the cuttlebone, but your snail may be ok without it.

I cant get calcium liquid either. I just put a couple of cuttle bone pieces in the gravel as cuttle bone floats. Over time they will eventually sink. Feeding snails a high calcium diet is important and I believe they can absorb calcium more effectively thorugh food than in the water, but it can only be a bonus for their health if you can add calcium to the water. :) I hope I made sense :blink:

Yes Selena, it made sense. :) It annoys me when it floats, so usually I bury it or shove it behind the filter intake tube, or stick it under a rock. It doesn't really matter where it is as long as it can get into the water.

thank you everyone, :D I will pick up some cuttlebone, I occassionally drop in those algae wafers for my pleco, do you know if this has calcium in it as well?

also about the turtle pellets, will they harm the fish? my goldies are little piggies and even sniff out stuff even in the dark <_<

Turtle pellets won't harm your goldies, it's not ideal food probably...but it won't harm them. I feed my snails turtle pellets and my betta even goes after them. If my tiny betta can handle them, the goldies will be fine.

I've heard that crushed coral needs to have water flowing over it to put calcium in the tank, like you should put it near or in your filter. Would cuddle bone be the same way? If it was under the gravel is it just as effective? Just wondering, I have no clue what I'm talking about! B)

I think it makes sense but I think it leaches into the water on its own. Before I started using both, every couple of days I'd take it and scratch the cuttlebone so that a powder would float into the water.. I figured it may be easier to absorb that way.

Archived