Help...nitrite Level High

Debi0825

I moved the fish into the tubs from the pond 4 weeks ago (230 gallons). My pond levels have always been fine and up until I tested today so where the tub levels. My ph is 8, Ammonia 0, Nitrite .08, Nitrate 12.5. Do you think this is just phase 2 of the tank cycle given that Ammonia is 0. How do I get the nitrite down to zero. Water change? Thanks for any help.

• Admin

Water changes every day for three days of 20%-30%, Testing everyday once you see it down to 0 let it rest one day test it again and if its up again do another water change, if the fish look stressed you can add one teaspoon of salt per 5 gals of water :)

I would keep up the water changes like Koko suggested and would definately up the salt content. IMO, 1 teaspoon per 5 gallons is not going too do very much. One tablespoon per 5 gallons is what I would use. This should put you around .1% which would be beneficial in this instance. And since I know that you are a ponder you can buy salt dirt cheap at the local home stores. It comes in a blue bag labeled solar salt and costs under $4 for 40 lbs. It is used in water softener systems and is the same thing as aquarium salt. Hope that helped.

Thanks everyone. I'm going to wait on the salt as the fish all look fine (I'm more stressed about this than they are). I'll do another test and change tonight and tomorrow. And suck out anything that I missed yesterday when cleaning it. I appreciate all the help and so do my fish.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest kbreese

my nitrite levels are high too. In my test kit it said you can addstuff called "Nitra-Zorb" to bring down the levels. Anyone ever use this stuff?

Archived