Oh Jeez, The Nightmare Came True!

emmahj

I have posted before about a nightmare I've had a couple of times where I come downstairs during the night and find water pouring out of the tanks and the fish flapping desperately, and although I pour buckets and buckets of water back in, I can't stop the leak and the fish get more and more frantic. It's a horrible dream.

This morning the nightmare came true.... only worse!

I posted about my new fish, which I bought yesterday and set up in a 20 gallon Q-tank on the conservatory floor with a new filter and the usual equipment. Both settled in very happily and were munching on an algae wafer when I went to bed. I came downstairs this morning while it was still dark, and I was about to go out of the door when I thought, I'll just have a quick peep at the new guys and see if they're OK. I knelt down next to the tank, looked in - and couldn't understand at first why Splodge was lying on his side. Then I realised both fish were on the bottom, not moving, the filter was grinding not swooshing... and I was kneeling on a completely sodden floor. You guessed it: the tank had failed and drained out overnight. :(

I leapt up with a shriek and turned on the light, and saw the poor fish lying motionless in a virtually dry tank, with a great big crack in the bottom of it. How in God's name that happened I have no idea, because it was fine the day before! I touched Dartford... and no response. I was just about to sit down and bust out crying when I saw Splodge's gill cover twitch just slightly. I tore back through the house, grabbed a bucket, hauled the hood off the main tank (tearing several fingernails in the process as it's a huge heavy oak thing), dipped the bucket and frantically sloshed water into the Q-tank. Almost at once both fish began to twitch and gasp, so I sloshed 3 more quick bucketfuls in and then held them both in the bubble stream from the airstone. After a few minutes they began to hold themselves up and to take bigger gulps, but of course the water I'd sloshed in was already beginning to drain out again. Talk about the nightmare coming to life!

By this time Gareth had come downstairs and we decided to get one of the spare 30 gallon tanks out of the shed and set that up as a new Q-tank. We moved both fish into a bucket and put their airstone into it. By this time both were upright and moving, but very slowly and feebly. They were obviously both badly shocked and had lost several scales and some fin tissue, but at least they were up and breathing. Then we lifted the broken Q-tank out of the back door and watched as the bottom shifted and creaked and the crack starting running up the side.

We got one of the 30 gallons from the shed, brought it in, washed it down and moved it into position. But just as we moved it....... craaaaaaacck! A crack appeared in the bottom of that one too! Well, we just stood and stared at it in total incomprehension. In all my years of fishkeeping, I have never had a tank crack or break on me, and here were 2 doing it in one morning! So we took that one outside and went to get the last spare from the shed. Gareth reached in to pick one end up, gave a sudden howl and lifted his hand up with blood running simply everywhere. The other spare tank had developed a broken corner somehow and he'd sliced his finger on it. It took an enormous dressing to stop the bleeding. We left that tank where it was, but it too will have to go to the dump tomorrow.

The only option left then was to put the new fish into the main tank, ich and flukes and all. :( Exactly what we didn't want to do (given the last disaster when I didn't quarantine a new arrival) but the poor creatures couldn't stay in a bucket all day, so in they went along with the first dose of salt. At least then they had the benefit of being in acres of good fresh clean water with other fish around, and both started perking up at once.

So there we were. I was already over an hour late for work, my suit was drenched in fish water so I had to go and change, Gareth was clutching his still aching and bleeding hand, the conservatory floor and carpet round the main tank were soaked, there were buckets, towels, bottles of dechlorinator, nets and salt boxes scattered everywhere, the new filter was a scorched ruin and there were 3 broken tanks lying outside the back door.

Sheesh. What the heck did I do in a previous life to deserve this? Did I kidnap the Pope or something?!!! :blink:

Anyway, at least both fish are absolutely fine this evening. They have both been rooting around happily in the gravel and yelling for their dinner with the others. I am amazed they made it! Apart from the missing scales - poor Splodge has lost most of his black splodge - you wouldn't know anything had happened to them. And yes, Colin and Dartford absolutely ADORE each other, even though Colin is 4 times the size of little Dartford. :)

Has anyone else ever had a real fish nightmare like that?! :blink:

Edited by emmahj

All I can say is......... OH MY GOD!!! No, knock on wood, it's never happened to me! How terrible for you to have to deal with all of that. It almost sounds like another dream... did you pinch yourself??!! Wow Emma, I'm so sorry about all that. At least you saved the fish though, that's the most important thing. You must have caught it right in time too. Poor girl. Sit down and have a rum and coke, or two, or 10, you deserve it!!!!! :)

All I can say is......... OH MY GOD!!!  No, knock on wood, it's never happened to me!  How terrible for you to have to deal with all of that.  It almost sounds like another dream... did you pinch yourself??!!  Wow Emma, I'm so sorry about all that.  At least you saved the fish though, that's the most important thing.  You must have caught it right in time too.  Poor girl.  Sit down and have a rum and coke, or two, or 10, you deserve it!!!!!  :)

you'll be needing these :twocents and a good pat on the back for a nice save and hopefully you'll find a new home for em. :pond

again.... oh my god..... too....!!!! that is awful!!! Well im glad the fish are doing okay.... i seriously had my hand over my mouth in shock whilst reading!!

Well isnt it said bad luck come in threes (for starters you have more than your share) and you had all three today!!

keep us posted, sure they will do fine in your care :)

:hug

What in the world is going on? This is just a bit to much to even try to understand............ :o

All i can say is that those fish have to be some of the luckiest that ever swam. ;)

I remember very vividly, you describing your nightmare several times and the fact that it actually happened is unfathomable. I mean, really?!?!? :blink:

I am soooo glad to hear that they all made it through the ordeal. I take it that Dartforth was no worse for the wear, huh?

You and Gareth are awesome! :heart

Maybe the nightmare was just to prep you for the real thing.

That is so uncanny, even without the nightmare bit, 3 broken tanks in a row! I don't know how you managed to go to work after that episode.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear your fish are doing well.

Will you have to replace the carpet? Are the fish OK this afternoon?

Thankfully the carpet has dried out OK (we had a fan heater running in that room most of the day). The fish seem absolutely fine now. Tough little buggers! :D

I just had another look at the tank which leaked overnight. The crack runs the whole length of the bottom... you can just about see it in the photo. I wish I knew what the heck caused it. Oh well!

post-71-1105401069.jpg

Oh Emma, what a horrible experience for you. I'm so glad that your fish have pulled through. Splodge is an absolute beauty :wub:

I hope this never happens to you again. Perhaps you are a phsycic and dont know it. Maybe your nightmare was telling you the furture (????) :huh:

:yikes OMG!!! that?s so terrible, its hard to believe that anything like that could possibly happen, but at least your fish are okay.

That's exactly why I am afraid to buy glass tanks (all my tanks are acrylic)

HOW HORRIBLE! Your premonition came true!

I remember you talking about your nightmare in another post, how awful it actually happened! But you saved your babies in the nick of time, thank goodness! I hope they are recovering well.

err, I hope there's nothing to this premonition stuff...... I remember posting my nightmare about trying to save my goldies from a burning house... :krazy:

Robin

This is horrible.. I Hope Gareth is getting better already.. my hand twitch jus by reading your description of how serious his wound is..

lucky for you to be a early riser.. if it is mine case, the fishes would have dried up by the time I woke up..

It happened to me once, not crack but leaking hose from the pump.. all water was drained out of the tank and leaked through the broken hose.. luckily I have the habit of place the pump slightly above the ground level of the tank.. so there was about an inch of water left when I woke up that day to see a very wet balcony despite the sunny day.. for a moment I was pondering since when it rained when the weather was so hot then.. then the fear came across me and I was so shocked when I saw 15 fishes lying on their side in that inch of water..

anyway, luckily everything is alright.. the fishes will recover under good care and hopefully Gareth will recover soon..

come to think about it, 3 broken tanks in one morning is really toooooo much for one to take.. but there has to be a cause to all these crack.. perhaps it is good to investigate, so to prevent this from happening again..

Emma, how awful! It does seem you are psychic; it's definite that you and Gareth are heroes. So glad your fish made it through the ordeal. You surely did work for them. I hope poor Gareth's finger is better soon - glass cuts are nastly.

BTW, welcome back, Fish5killer!

man o man ... i think you should get a medal... i don't think i would have been able to work through that... i would have had to send my girl friend to get me atank or smoething while i put them in my crappy super small travel tanks and stuff... i mean wow. I give you my props and am glad that there are people that are willing to go as far as needed for their loved ones(not just people)...Keep up the good work

Cheers

DPG

That is truly unbelievable! What a horrible ordeal. Thank God you were able to save your fish. Take care of your finger, it looks pretty bad.

Guest asifriaz

hi to all,

this surely wasa a nightmare and nothing one could ignore. But the best part is the survival of the fish.

Anyways, in my opinon the cause of cracking of two tanks in a row (other than bad luck) might be the surface of the stand you have choosen for the tank. It might be hard enough to force the glass to crack once the water was filled and water started exeterting pressure on the glass. In this part of the world we use thermopole sheet to be placed in between tank and stand as they absorb most of the pressure.

Do tell me that is my assumption right or not.

Thanks for your time.

OMG!!! What a horrible experience but at least your fish survived.

I almost had something like that--last week a crack suddenly developed in my 50 gallon tank--up near the top.

I know why mine cracked--there was a tiny chip missing in the seam. I took a photo, took it to vvvv and the manager said that once a crack starts, it will keep cracking. :o And the tank (TopFin) has a lifetime warranty so I was a to replace the tank at no cost.

I raced home, imagining that it had already had a major crack--got my fish in a bucket, drained the tank, replaced it and then filled it back up. (I saved about half of the water)

Here is a pic of the crack in my tank. crackedtankxx.jpg

I deliberately avoided this post yesterday - I really did not want to read of anything bad happening to you, Emma, or Gareth or any of your fish! But it seems to have a good ending.........

I think perhaps others have put a finger on a potential cause - if that stand is not perfectly level - is twisted in any way, or has a small stone caught under where the tank sits - anything at all that could cause a tank to not sit squarely and evenly supported all around on the stand, it could twist under the weight of the water, crack and break.

But that does NOT explain the one in the shed!!!!! Weird. It makes my stomach hurt to think of it.

Boy, I am glad you found them when you did. Gareth is a real trooper to help out as he did, too! :yikes:crazy::fishtank:

Well, now there is nothing more that can happen. I so decree........

(I wish)

:bighug