Sign in to follow this  
Mr. Goldfish

Geting A New Filter.

I want to get a new filter for a thirty gal. tank. This is what I am looking for.

On a scale of 1(lworse)to ten(best)please rate each brand(Whisper, Pemguim:ect) on:

Reliability:

Cost:

To Maintain:

Cost to maintain:

Where to get filter:

How to get:

Consumer Service:

How quiet:

**********************All REPLYS WELCOME**********************

Hi Mr. Goldfish,

I don't mind answering this question for ya, but you should know these where highly recomended by a lot of people. Marineland also makes the penguin models too. I've had these for 4 weeks now, replaced a older model whisper (which rates at a -10 in my book).

Emporer 400 bio wheel's

Reliability: Have had them 4 weeks, so far so good.

Cost: 39.99 ea. on sale

To Maintain: very easy! Hinged cover allows acess to front bio wheels or back to filter & media cartridges. 4 weeks later I pulled the filters and they where still pretty nice, no overflow. Only needed a light rinse! You don't touch the bio wheels for cleaning for about 2 mo's. Then a light rinse.

Cost to maintain: Depends on what you want to put in the media tray's, I chose to add bio glass, bought one box@7.99, filled three tray's, the 4th was filled with extra Charcoal. You could use oyster shell aka chicken grit. Filter pads with charcoal where 7.99 for a box of 4. *sale prices

Where to get filter: Dr's Foster & Smith

How to get: online or catalog

Consumer Service:

How quiet: Very quiet.

I was very impressed right away with these, I could see a difference overnight with only one hooked up. I hooked up the second one two weeks later. They also feature water flow control for feeding. They are sitting on a 55 gl.

I have two more tanks, and I deffinetly will be looking at penguin models for those tanks. Just for the fyi, I have a 30 too, I'm considering the penguin 330 model for it. But it also has a ugf, otherwise I'd consider running a double in maybe the emporer 280 model. I'm going to go with a penguin 170 model on the 15, which also sports a ugf.

I hope this helpfull for you. F&S has the best prices so far at the time for these.

I'm a big fan of AquaClears. They are reliable, you can arrange the media in whatever way suits you best, and they are not expensive.

I order mine from www.petsolutions.com, the AC 70 is 300 gph which is perfect for a 30 gallon tank, it runs for about $21.00 (cheaper when they have a sale) and comes with the sponge, carbon and biomedia (biomax). I run it set up like that, only I save the carbon for future need and replace it with a 1/2" of filter floss. All my filters are set up that way and I think its one of the best setups out there. The sponge does large mechanical, the floss filters out the tiny stuff, and the biomax gives a great home to the bacteria.

I'm not a big fan of biowheels myself, mainly because I've never owned a biowheel filter that was reliable.

hey i have had a good experience with penguni but then again i only have a 10 gallon but i use their mini and it works great; quiet, works great and has the best mechanism to keep benifical bacteria allive. Don't know about prices but.... I STRONGLY suggest looking on ebay for your pump. you can get new used and new out of box filters for half to a third the price of new ones from you lfs. i have seen whole lots of filters(in working condition, that is agaruntee other wise it is mail faud and they get screwed if you report them) way to big(the kind that would suit you) for under 20 bucks sometimes includeing shipping...

I have gotten great deals on air pumps fish food bubble walls and things of the sort for way way cheep....

BUT ONE Warning is beware of shipping costs some people don't take them into consideration and get all pissy... but besides that its the best deal ever...

Cheers

I think it really depends on what you want your filter to do.

Many tanks need (or you may want) more than one filter on them. I like a combination of filters in tanks such as these. In my 56 gallon tank, I have a cannister (Eheim) for the main biological filtration, with two Emperor 280's on the back (The tank's configuration makes the 280's all that will fit).

I have Penguin 330's, Emperor 400's, Penguin 170's and a couple of AquaClears.

Personally I only use the AquaClears as cycling helps. They do not do a very good job. I rate them at about 0 for goldies, but they do an adequate job of holding bacteria in the sponge, and allow me to place a baggie of extra media into the chamber to help in cycling a new tank or transfering a cycle. It is also a small enough filter that I leave it running all the time on a tank, ready to be used for an iso tank or cycling boost as needed. I would not count on it as a full tank filter, though.

I do not particularly like the Penquin 170's. They depend totally on the bio-wheel for the biological platform - and in my opinion, a bio-wheel takes just too long to get going. Once they are fully populated with the beneficial bacteria, they are fine, but they seem to be twice as slow (or more) to get there than standard media. Because of this, I have taken apart the cartridges that go with the 170's and have loaded them with ceramic cylindar media, held in place with a mesh bag (I sewed one). A filter pad is then rubberbanded to the cartridge and the thing is slipped into place. This makes it a good filter.

I love my Emperor filters - they are quiet, hold loads of media, are easy to service and very reliable. Most will self prime in emergency situations and I have never had one fail yet. A Penquin 330 is also designed much like the Emperors - media baskets included. I like them for the same reason.

I have had a few cannisters that I have given away - a HOT, and one "Generic Eheim" because the cleaning was nearly impossible. Eheims cost an arm and a leg, but for cleaning ease and lack of mess, they cannot be beat. I would never count on one to do too much mechanical filtration, though. Their strengths are biological.

I had a few older Whispers and was not too impressed. I think it was partly because they were very old.

I also am not a great fan of sponges - I find them difficult to clean and have a problem with them clogging up too quickly with waste. The filter cartridges supplied or purchased for most filters do not need to be, (nor should they be) changed as often as the filter companies say. I only change mine when the blue filter pad gets soooooooo fuzzy and worn that it is literally falling apart. They shake clean very well so do not need to be replaced.

THANL YOU ALL

************ ALL REPLYS STILL APPRECIATED***************

Now, my old filter (whisper) did a realy bad job filtering my tank. Now Money is not an issue. Anything under 50.00 is would be great though. I been hearing how good Penguin and Emperor are, and just wanted to know which one is better(In terms of ranking by Marinelife and by proformence). :D

THANKS YOU GUYS!!

************REMEMBER ANY OPINION AT ALL PLEASE POST THEM************

Edited by Mr. Goldfish

Your most welcome Mr. Goldfish! :D

The only thing I did was I left the old whisper run for two weeks while I started the first emporer up, primed & added cycle. Its looking nice. The second one was started up two weeks later. And I agree with Daryl on the filters, they clean nicely, but I have alway's rinsed/shook mine out and used till fall apart stage. The whisper clogged every other day, sometimes everyday...

I have a 15 gl (old style, long & low) & a 35 gl I'll be setting back up, both have ugf's in, I'm not a big fan of ugf's, but I had already decided to go with penguin models for added filtration and the bio. I just have not decided which model's or what kind of fish for them. Siamese dolls for one, but ?? for the other. That will help me decide which to put on what........

Thanks for all your replys!!!

I just went to vvvv, and I met a guy that told me Whisper filters are the weakest. Is that true? I am also hearing how bad and unreliable Whisper filters are.

THANK YOU ALL

************ ALL REPLYS STILL APPRECIATED***************

I think these are the kind of filters I am looking for.(All prices from vvvv.com ) Please pick the filter that you feel is the best.

EHEIM Liberty Power Filters

Easy to set up and simple to maintain, the Liberty power filters come in three models: Liberty 100 gal./h for aquariums up to 20 U.S. gallons; Liberty 150 gal./h for aquariums up to 35 U.S. gallons; and Liberty 200 gal./h for aquariums up to 50 U.S. gallons.

The advanced 3D technology is based on a disposable pleated carbonized cartridge that provides 100% more mechanical and chemical filtration. It traps minute dirt particles while absorbing liquid impurities, organic compounds and odors. Eliminating toxins on contact, the bio-foam cartridge completes the three-stage filtration. To ensure long-term biological filtration, cartridges can chaged individually in order to maintain beneficial bacteria colonization

EHEIM Liberty Power Filter 200 for Aquariums up to 50 Gallons $27.99

Emperor Power Filters

This is the first power filter to combine high-end performance with multiple filtration options. Filter features not one pump (as in ordinary power filters), but two separate water pumps. The Flow Pump directs water through the high-capacity Emperor Rite-Size Filter Cartridges and Media Containers. The BIO-Pump then pressurizes and sends streams of pre-filtered, oxygen-rich water through the adjustable spray bars to power each BIO-Wheel. Ready-to-use cartridges have more mechanical and carbon filtration than any other cartridge. Provides superior biological filtration. Filter cartridges sold separately.

400 400 gal./hr. up to 80 U.S. gallons Two Rite-Size "E" Filters; Two 4 oz. Refillable Media Container Spray Bar Driven BIO-Wheel 601488 Emperor Power Filter 400 $42.99

Penguin BIO-Wheel Power Aquarium Filters by Marineland

Compact aquarium filters feature the rotating BIO-Wheel wet/dry biological filter, proven to remove ammonia and nitrite faster. Self-starting pump restarts automatically after shut off. Designed to be leak proof and easy to maintain. Flow rates are certified accurate. UL listed.

330 330 gal./hr. up to 70 U.S. gallons Two Rite-Size "C" Filter Cartridges and Two BIO-Baskets 601853 Penguin BIO-Wheel Power Filter 125 gph $18.29

Proquatics Power Filters

Proquatics Power Filters have been designed and tested by leading aquatics experts to provide years of reliable service. Along with state-of-the-art mechanical, chemical and biological filtration, there is an extra media chamber that you may customize with the media of your choice. Adjustable strainer opening and a flow control knob prevent the damage of small or delicate fish. These filters provide quiet, efficient operation and are UL and CUL approved. Remember to choose a filter appropriate for your aquarium size and fish load. Made exclusively for vvvv.

Proquatics 300 Power Filter for 55 to 75 Gallon Aquariums $39.99

******************All replys welcome*************************** :yeah::yeah: