Sign in to follow this  
Guest smileygus

White Poop? Meds?

So, has your pH stayed steady since the additions of baking soda?

Are you still adding it?

The ammonia should begin to slowley die away now that you have your filter running at the correct flow. I think that problem is on it's way out.

The hardness of your tankwater is just fine. My goldfish thrive in a hardess of 350-400ppm and i'm sure they can handle it even a little harder.

Dont rinse the sponge on the filter intake unless it gets clogged. The more bio-bugs that grow in it as well as the sponge "in" the filter, the better. As always, only rinse the sponges out in a tub or bucket of dechlorinated water or old tank water.

Also, In case you haven't realized, you will be spending a lot of money on test strips if you don't got get yourself dropper test for each parameter (or you can order a master test kit for 25 bucks). In getting the droppers, you will have test kits for over a year!!! ;)

It sure sounds like your little one is acting happy lately. I take it all is well with him? :)

Guest smileygus

Ah thanks I will have to order a dropper kit. I don't have much money right now and I have many animals.

I never added baking soda.... you never told me to.

Thank you Paul!!!!!! :)

oops! sorry, I mixed your thread up with another i have going.

Umm, I noticed that earlier you said that your pH doesn't jump around any. You also listed your pH as being 7.2 at that time. Now it is between 7.8 and 8.4. We might need a little investigation in this matter.

I also noticed that your nitrItes have disappeared, huh? That's good, your getting closer.

Test your tapwater with your strips and record the results and post them back here. :)

Guest smileygus

I don't know but they need to use another color than pink. I can't see the difference in the ph. Plus my boyfriend has got us living like vampires in here. I suprised I can see anything! :lol:

Guest smileygus

I havent posted because the water has been the same everyday.

Today it is:

nitrate - 20

Nitrite - 0

hardness - 300

kh - 80

ph - 7.8

And the ammonia? :huh:

Sure looks like things have leveled out for you there. I'm glad! :D

Ah, Another Kokos success! :exactly

Guest smileygus

My water is still about the same.

nitrate - 20

Nitrite - 0

hardness - 120

kh - 120

ph - 7.8

ammonia - .25

The alge is growing all over my gravel. I used the tube sucking thing to clean out the poop so all the alge covered gravel was covered up. Is the alge under the gravel ok?

With the way ammonia toxicity and ph/temperature goes, The .25ppm ammonia that your reading on your test kits is a negligable amount. Basically, you can have up to "about" 1ppm ammonia and it will not be in the toxic form that is able to hurt your goldie.

However, the fact that you are still reading ammonia in you water tells me that either the test kits are giving you a slightly false reading, or you are interpreting it wrong or some other factor that has eluded me thus far. Being that the reading you are getting is the lowest it gets on the scale, I'm leaning more towards that you may be intrerpreting the ammonia kit wrong. I'm also leaning towards the fact that you might want to just consider the reading you are getting to be representative of 0ppm.

I think maybe some cross checking your test kits with the kits at your lfs is in order. Just to see if your getting an actual positive reading for ammonia or not.

Algae anywhere in the tank is a sign of a healthy tank. You can remove it at your leisure or just leave it. The choice is yours. ;)

Lemme know what you come up with. :)

Guest smileygus

Frosty is floating!!! Thats what kirby did before he died!!! What should I do! Go back on the med food???? :cry1:cry1:cry1:cry1:cry1

:o

Hmm, well, can you describe all that has transpired in the past 3 weeks?

Ammonia levels, nitrAte levels, pH, food, poo, behaviors, anything at all........

Is your little guy floating belly up, sideways, up or down?

Is he gasping for air (rapid gill movement)?

What are you tanks params? taps params?

Sorry about all the questions again, I just need to catch up on whats been happening. :unsure:

Guest smileygus

nitrate- 20

nitrie- 0

hardness- 300

kh- 80

ph- 7.8

ammonia- .25

The only thing different about my water is that the nitrate went from 0 to 20.

He had thick short black poop. Then it was lcean a greenish.

He doesn't swim much anymore. Lays still in his sleeping spot most of the day. He swam a lot when the other fish was alive. I thought maybe he was alone so not much fun to swim. Now he lays there even more. Not a sick lay. Just how goldfish sleep. Then 2 days ago I woke up and he was floating on the top.It is in his normal swimming position. Just hanging out up there. I didn't think much when my last goldfish did it but the he got so bad he couldnt swim to the bottom the 2 weeks later he died. Frosty can still swim. He will go to the top and act like he is eating but there is no food on the top of the water. Then when he swims downward a bubble will come out of his mouth. Same behavior as the other fish. He is swimming normal now.

If you remember Frosty got stuck in the filter. His bubble and fins healed. The just have a black tips now. Right along the torn edge. Thats the only visable difference I can see.

Will that food you had me buy help? Medi - gold?

I soak it cuz it is too big and hard for him to eat. He is still very small.

Thanks Paul!

well, it sounds like the nitrAtes might be causing him to float. Either that or hes "constipation" prone due to air in his food.

This is a common occurance with fancy goldfish of today. They have very squished bodies and this puts pressure on their swim bladders. The squished state of their guts also causes constipation easily too. Constipation can come from , nitrAte sensitivities, feeding dry food (food with air in it at all).

Soaking food is great. Some people even go as far as to pinch the soaked food so that it sinks. The theory is that if it sinks, there's no air to injest. Switching to a food that sinks or even trying gel foods might help this too. Of course, if it's the rising nitrAtes that are causng this, keeping them as low as you possibly can will help greatly.

So, I would suggest soaking, as well as pinching all of his food so that it sinks. Feed more of a variety too. Perform extra waterchanges to keep the nitrAtes down as low as possible. And last but not least, keep a good close eye on him. ;)

By the way, floaty fish very often respond weel to Gel Foods. Heres a link to a recipe: gel food recipe

By the way, you said hes swimming normal now, Does that mean you haven't seen hinim floating any more? :huh:

Guest smileygus

No more floating. I soak his flakes but not the blood worms. Should I soak them too?

If the bloodwroms are the frozen variety, they don't need soaking. But if the blooworms are dried out, soaking them is a must.

Thats awesome that you don't see any more floating. Youll just hae to be careful of what and how you feed him from here on out........

As or him seeming lonely, maybe its time to get him a friend to hang with. I think you'll see a marked improvement in his behavior if you were to get him a little friend to keep him stimulated.................... :heart

Guest smileygus

I want to get him a friend but I dont have a extra tank. When I get some more money I would like to set one up. I am so afraid to get another fish cuz it might be sick. Then Frosty will get sick. :crp Frosty used to follow the other fish around. It was so cute. Now he just lays around.

Oh the blood worms are dried. I didn't soak them. Yeee....

He seems to like those more than the flakes and he eats them really fast. I gave him some of the medi-gold last night and he choked. I saved him now he is fine. Ahhhh... he is so small and helpless. Poor guy.

Thank you for your help!

You really should get paid for this. :lol:

Hehe, its my pleasure! :heart

well, you don't even need another tank to put a new one through quarentine. You can do it with a 5 gallon receptacle, ammonia-chips and salt (or a wide spectrum parasitic med like Jungle parasite clear).

Basically, youll use the ammo-chips as a substrate in the bottom of a 5 gallon receptacle. 50% dialy waterchanges, a few salt dips and/or a wide spectrum parasitic meds for a month and you should have a clean bill of health for a newbie to go into the tank with frosty............ :D

Keep us posted. :)

A filter isn't necessarily needed for the quarentine period, but it helps. You can easily do it the way I described with ammo-chips, daily waterchanges, and possibly a heater to keep the temp stable.

Or, if you have an extra filter sitting on standby somewhere, you can cycle it using some gravel and filter media from frosty's tank. You dont even need a tank, Just a plastic storage bin that allows you to hang the fuilter on it would work. Of course, if you wanted to use a heater, extra care must be taken to ensure that it doesn't touch the plastic. A peice of glossy tile (or pane of glass) would work great there.

Hope this helps! :D