Sign in to follow this  
Guest smileygus

White Poop? Meds?

Guest smileygus

Im reading some of your other posts toothless and I am wondering....

How do you know so much?

:blink:

Guest smileygus

hey I read about the mushy test. One side of frosty's belly is bigger. I felt him and his underside is mush.... is this ok?

Sorry I haven't been around as much as before. I've been soooper busy with work. :)

As for the mushy belly test. This can really only be relied upon if the person has experience in feeling the bellies of many different goldies. Otherwise, you have nothing to compare it to. Two different things come to mind when seeing one side swollen a bit more than the other.

One is egg impaction from the female not having any help in expelling the eggs. You see, the male bumps the females rump and belly as a normal reaction in breeding, this helps the female to purge her eggs. Without outside influence, eggs can become impacted and the female will often absorb the eggs to the point that she will poop them out as dark, zig-zag strings of poo.

The other is an internal defect. wether this be a malignant tumor that keeps growing and growing or a harmless swelling or defect from birth, we cannot know without further observation.

Does the swelling seem to be growing at all? Does it seem to be hampering your goldie in any way?

And more importantly, How is your tankwaters params right now?

To answer your question as to how I know so much about goldies is simple. Love and Dedication. :heart The rest follows suit. I just read (and re-read and re-read) every single bit of information that I can find on the internet and books. Since good books on goldfish are scarce, the internet is my main source. I just hit all kinds of keywords starting with aquariums and goldfish into my google search engine and it does all the legwork. Be advised, If you go searching around and find descriptions of symptoms and sicknesses that may fit the way your goldie seems, Do not medicate or make changes to your tank unless your absolutely 100% sure of what your seeing. Misdiagnosis are very easy to make. ;)

Paul

Guest smileygus

Well he isnt swimming as much as he used too. He would follow the other fish around most of the time. After Kirby died he isnt moving too much. It seems that his belly might have gotten a bit bigger. Its hard to tell. He act fine other than not moving much.

His fin that was damaged by the filter is working again. no more Nemo swim.

No more bloody eye. The blackness is going away. The gill that was stuck in the filter flaps more than it used too.

The nitrites are a bit lower but eveything else is the same.

Good, I'm glad there isn't any "new" events to report. In this case, no news is good news! :D

I think that if you can keep your ph steady and your water parametrs to a minumum (until full cycling is achieved) Your little wiggler will be happy and healthy for years to come! :heart

Guest smileygus

....... little wiggler................. :lol: cute!!!!

Yeah I'm keepin a close eyeball on him. I will post again if something changes!!!

Guest smileygus

You said something before about with a female eggs can become impacted. Then the poop looks like zig-zags. Now when you say zig-zad I think of the letter "z" and poop looking like that seems a bit impossible to me.

So, today Frostys poop was really strange looking. It was a bit over an inch long. It looked to me like a pearl necklace. It was white clump, brown clump, clear part...

It was crazy looking. Could the poop that looks like this be the zig-zag poop??

Honestly, I have never seen the zig zag poop that I described to you. I have only read it from the other members here on the board. I can tell you that it certainly sounds possible that this is what you saw. Has the swelling gone down any since you saw the poop and have you seen any more poop that looked like this?

Can you by chance get a good pic from above to point out to us the swelling you see? This will also help as a guage to tell wether the swelling is growing faster than your goldie is growing.

Paul

Guest smileygus

I have not been able to get on this site for days. Did you have the same problem?

As for you question, Frosty pooped like that one more time. The his pop was a long clear string. Then it was really thick and dark brown. Then it was thinck and white.

He is confusing me.

His bubble is growing back and there are not anymore black spots on him!!

I too was having problems getting on. I'm sure glad the site's back up and running though! ;)

I have yet to meet a goldfish that doesnt produce long clear strings. This is (at best guess) nothing but the fact that there is no food in the goldfish's digestive tract (or in the later end). Their, digestive tracts are very short. Basically, its a straight shot with a couple short switchbacks. When the goldfish hasn't eaten anything in a while, They produce the clear thin poop, or "anti-poop" (HAHA).

Are you by chance noticing this poop when you haven't fed them for a while?

That is just awesome to here about the improvements! Keep up the good work! :D

Paul

Guest smileygus

ahh I can never get on anymore. I feel bad not to keep you updated. The water was almost normal. I went one day without doing a water change because I was sick. The next day I checked the water and it was back up super high. Guess I have to start over again. Frosty looks super good!!!!! Woo Hoo!!!!!!

Christa

So, what was super high on the test kits?

Thats good that everything seems to have worked out for you. Your hard work and determination is definitely paying off! Keep it up!

Paul

Guest smileygus

I can't get the Nitrite down. It moves between .5 and 3.0

I still do the water changes.

The nitrate stays at 20.

Why can't I get this back to normal?

It nice being back..... :D

Christa

Its been a while and I think I ned a refresher on your water params from the tap source. Post results for all of the tests you have.

Also post results for your tanks parameters.

Something is not allowing your biofilter to fully mature. At this point, I don't know exactly what it is but maybe with a bit more investigation, we came find the problem and fix it.

Didn't you say that you used an aqua-clear? Are you using only one sponge in it? If so, i suggest adding a second sponge on top of the other one. This will double the amount of space the beneficial bacteria has to colonize and it will clean your water of ammonia and nitrIte even faster than before. I think perhaps that would help your situation with the nitrItes.

I know I've been saying this all along but, you really are very close to having your problems sorted out. Post back soon! :D

Guest smileygus

It is official! Frosty is worth a lot of money! :krazy:

Guest smileygus

I have a whole new question.

If you look at my picture frosty is the black and orange finsh.

The black mark on his cheek is gone. I am guessing it was an ammonia burn.

The thing that has me puzzled is his tail! It was drak black. Then all the black was almost gone. Now the black it coming back?

I guess my question is why? :blink:

Guest smileygus

Oh I forgot my water info:

Ammonia - .25

Nitrate - 20

Nitrite - .5

Hardness - 150

KH - 80

PH - 7.2

:lol:

So, your params seem to be leveling off somewhat. Or are the test results low from just performing a waterchange?

I would have to say that the black is due to more ammonia burns. If it came and went before, and it is back, it can only be one thing. Unless, theres the small chance that there is a bit of black trying to creep out due to genetics. But that is probably just wishful thinking.

Your low kH worries me somewhat, for your pH to be considered safe, you need a kH of 120-180ppm, Have you been noticing any changes in your pH recently?

Keep up the diligence. :D

Guest smileygus

No it is pretty much the same. It is the nitrates and nitrites that keep jumpping around. They were up super high. I have just been doing a 5 - 15% water cahnge every day. I did 50% 2 times when everything got too high.

Did it change cuz I took the ammo chips out? This whole wter thing makes my head hurt. Thanks for wonderful helping people like you! :D

You are most likely correct to assume that taking the ammo-chips out caused your params to start acting funny. Since the ammo-chips soak up the ammonia before a bio-filter can establish itself, removing them essentially caused your tank to have to cycle itself. In theory, and from the info provided, you should be due for a full cycleing very soon.

How long has it been since you removed the ammo-chips?

Guest smileygus

I thought I just wqent thru my water cycling???

I took the chips out the day you told me too. So the date ot that post....

:( What is rong with my tank. It's growing brown alge too... :crp

Well, theres several possibilities:

1- your tanks bio-filter could still be maturing.

2- your test kits could be bad or theyre being done wrong.

3- your filter might be being kept too clean.

Really, I think your tank is just still undergoing the cycling phase. since you were using ammo-chips, your tank never had a chance to cycle properly. As you may have read, this process can take up to a month and a half or more. Most of the time, it is done within 30 days or so but different water chemistries and other variables can prolong it.

The only other reason I can think of is that maybe your filter isn't set at full flow. Are you making sure that the intake tube on your filter is always set as far left as possible? The little slot in the lid is elongated so that you can slide the intake left or right for different flow rates. To the left is the max, to the right is the min. Keep an eye on that. If it gets set to the slower flow for too long, the bio-filter cant process the rising levels fast enough.

Now that your starting to see algae in your tank, this is a good sign in that your tank is maturing.

You're still doing daily testing of your params, right? If you could do me a huge favor and record each and every result on a pad of paper and keep us updated on them, it would seriously help to understand whats going on with your tank.

Keep us updated, K? :)

Guest smileygus

When I have the filter set on full flow it pushes Frosty around. It looks so sad. So I set it on low. :( I will change it now.

I didn't test the water today because I am going to take my test strips back to the store and ask for some new ones. The last 2 pads seem damaged. The results come in two colors because of it.

Oh and I don't clean my filter. I have a sponge on the filter intake so Frosty won't get stuck in it again. It is turning brown because of the alge...I guess. Should I rinse it in the tank water. It should have some good bacteria too?

YAY for brown alge!!!!!! :lol:

Thank you thank you thank you....

You should get paid for this....

What brand test strips are you using? I find that the two best ones are jungle and mardel. Ive seen some kinds that have the pads a grey color before you even dip them, stay away from those....too hard to read.

I knew something wasn't right. If your tank is a 20 high and it has an aquaclear200 on it, at full blast from the filter you would get the optimal amount of filtration for a goldfish (10X circulation per hour). If the filter were set on the low setting, that would drop the filtration rate in half and caus the filtration rate to be 50% of what you need for a goldfish. This, I fear, is why your bio-filter is having a hard time finding a balance.

Now, you don't have to sit there and watch frosty do somersaults in the currents :lol: . All you have to do is have some stratgically placed ornaments or silk plants to break up the flow. Frosty will find his favorite "sweet spot" for napping in due time. ;)

Any chance you can post a pic of the way you have your filter set-up with the sponge on the intake? :huh:

Post back soon. :D

Guest smileygus

I am using Jungle test strips.

Frosty is doing fine now with the filter turned up on high. He sleeps in different spots now. I hope he is still happy! :D

I tested my water last night before I did a water change and cleaned the gravel.

nitrate - 20

nitrite - 0

hard - 300 (It got worse)

kh - 80

ph - 7.8

ammonia - .25

I am going to test the water right now and give you my results!

nitrate - 20

nitrite - 0

hardness - 300

kh - 80

ph - 7.8 or 8.4 I cna't ever tell.

Here are some pictures of the filter. I am sorry that this camera is so blurry and I don't know why they are so crooked. I must have been standing on my head at that time...

I just cut a hole in the center of the sponge and shoved the intake down the center. I cleaned all of the brown alge out of the tank last night. I din't rinse the sponge on the filter. Do you think I should? It is all brown and looking kind of funky!

<_<

So here thay are:

filter.jpg

tank1.jpg