Sign in to follow this  
lepperchan

Really Red Gills

Hey guys, didn't know what happend over the break something was up with the boards or something , anyway. I got back from the break and my fish have really red gills. I checked the disease page and i couldn't find anything there. The only thing that has changed was i did a 20% water change yesterday and i put a new filter in with new carbon (befor just kept on reuseing old filters, with used up carbon). They don't seem to be flashing so i hope they are ok. I have put some salt in maybe a table spoon or so ( just to ease the water change transition maybe?) and i put some more water conditioner in just incase i didn't put enough in to kill the clorine and what not when i did the water change... If anyone has any further suggestions please shout me a haller ... Cheers

DPG

Do you mean the gills are really red inside? They should be a cherry red colour, and look pretty smooth, not ripped up like hamburger.

Jessica

Ok i think they are ok then, It was just kinda wiear to see them from so long and not actually noticeing how red they actually were... If any more abnormal behavior(flashing, clamped fins, ect) happens ill post it...

thanks

DPG

Yes, when you actually get a really good look at the insides of a fishs' gills they do look really red. They are supposed to be that way though. :)