Crack In Tank!

Wynkin

Sheese, I swear it wasn't there earlier today and I have no idea how it happened. I am not sure what to do, has this happened to anyone else?

I touched the crack and small drips of water came out of it. :(

The crack is in the left top corner (front):

crackedtankxx.jpg

Here is a close up:

crackedtankx.jpg

My 30 gallon tank cracked (or actually leaked) just before we left for Hawaii. I did not see the crack right away, so I broke the whole thing down. I could not risk it going when I was out of town.

I do not think you need to break it all down, though, unless you really do not feel comfortable repairing it while it is full.

As the others have said, lower the water below the crack. Try to get the area as dry as possible. (yeah - right..... :blink: )

I used some clear fiberglass airplane tape inbedded in the tank sealant silicone goo run along my tank's crack. It took over 48 hours to cure completely, but it did and the tank has not given me any problems since.

I think the tape was probably over-kill, but that is the way I generally do things. A good round of sealant should do the trick.

That looks like it is in a place where it probably happened from something striking the tank. It probably would not take too much to do it if it was in just the right position and hard enough to cause a little shear......

Gosh - I am sorry!!!!!!!!!!!! What a stinky thing!!!!! :cry1

how old is the tank? how many gallons does it hold? how much weight is ONTOP of it?

The tank was brand new when I set it up in May of 2004. It is a 50 gallon. The only thing on top is the lightweight hood. It is a TopFin tank from vvvv. I am thinking that maybe it is guaranteed and I could get it replaced.

Lachfa, nothing bumped it but it does have a very tiny flaw in the seam in the glass--a chip missing, very small. The crack comes out of that. You can see the flaw in the close up photo of the crack.

My big fear is that it will get worse--a huge crack all the way down and huge waterfall of fish flying out etc. :crp

Wynkin not to freak you out more, but I've seen a crack like that before, and it did get bigger!

I think you should cash in on the warranty. It should have one. Heck the tank I got at nnnnnn has a 5 year guarantee.

I'm sorry this happened, what a bummer =o(

Jessica

What if a tank had a crack on the bottom? I have a ten gallon that has a huge crack on the bottom and I was kind of wondering if that would be fixable. probably it would be more effort than it's worth, but I was just curios.

if its not under warrenty for some reason you could always do a dyi! remove that peice of glass, and replace it.... prolly wound be cheaper just to replace the glass

*be sure to get the right kind and thickness though!

me and my dad did that on our old 55 when the whole bottom broke out after 3 years.... lost my baby whitey..... :( but we saved Victoria, Freddy and Sparky.... 2 commens and a fantail... got REALLY strong glass and then put a cusion between it and the stand... then changed the tank to a turtle tank... lol!

I have a 30 gallon tank that has a crack in the upper corner, too. It doesn't go as far down as the one in your tank. I have tried sealing the crack with silicone, but I guess since it runs up under the plastic rim of the tank, if I fill the tank, water wicks up and drips down from the rim. I have to keep the water about 1/4" for the rim of the tank and then it doesn't leak. It doesn't look quite as nice as when the tank is filled, however, it works.

I am planning on replacing the tank, but I haven't done it yet.

I hope you do have a warranty on the tank.

Yay!!! I found the card that came with it and it has a lifetime warranty.

So I will go up to vvvv today. :) As I remember, the tank (4' long) barely fit in my car (New Beetle)--I can put the back seat down and have lots of room.

I will take in a photo to show them and hopefully come home with a new tank.

The crack hasn't gotten worse. I woke up several times last night and was worried about my fish. :blink:

Thanks for all of your input!!!! :heart:heart:heart

:) I just got back from vvvv--they will give me a brand new 50 gallon tank--I need to bring in the old one.

So I stopped at Lowes and got some more new 5 gallon buckets--I want to save about 1/2 of the water. Then it will just be like a major water change--I don't want to go through cycling again.

And yes, touchofsky, changing a large tank is no easy thing but the guy at vvvv told me that the tank would continue cracking and that would be terrible to lose my fish.

So, wish me luck!!!

I love TopFin and their lifetime warranty. I didn't even have the receipt. I don't know where it is. :blink::heart:heart:heart

Done!! My big fat goldies are now swimming around in their new tank! I love TopFin and vvvv!

It was a major workout but accomplished in a couple of hours. Phew!

:heart:heart:heart

:thanks I am so relieved. And wiped out--lifting buckets of sloppy water is hard work! :thud

The manager at vvvv said that once a crack starts it could keep cracking. I have seen that with car windshields, you have a tiny crack and then one day it is all the way across!

What an awful feelling when I thought that I could have lost my fish.

Archived