There Here Already

Queenie

Hi Sageman,

They were spawning Saturday morning. I got the eggs and put them in a container and Tuesday late morning they were hatching. I couldn't believe it. I thought that was fast.

So far they are all well.

Moor and Oranda should be very cute. If they hatch I hope they do well and you can post some pictures. I would love to see what they look like. I have a Red Cap Oranda with a Black Moor. I'm sure my Oranda is a male by the way he acts and I think the Moor is female but not for sure. So I may have the same combination some day, who knows?

How long have you had the eggs?

Do you know if a fry net/fry cage decreases the growth of the fry? I lost 2 fry today when I was cleaning the tank :cry1 but the older ones seems fine, and they now have some more space...

OldHag

I'm not sure if it does but I think bigger space is better.I had mine in a 1 gal tank until about 3~4 weeks and I always thought the growth was slow and upgraded to a 10 gal.After a week they've actually grown a lot bigger.But this is just my opinion :D

Sorry about your frys :cry1

OldHag, I'm sorry you lost two of your fry :cry1 I really don't know about the fry net/cage decreasing growth. I've never used one and these are my first fry. I'm just going to assume that more space would be better. Mine are in a 16 quart clear storage container for now. Keeping it clean though is tedious.

I did not really plan this so I'm ashamed to say I was not exactly prepared, but so far they are all alive and swimming around. I have a 25 gal. tub I will transfer them to when they get bigger. The next time I harvest eggs I'm going to have the bigger tub already to go with sponge filter. I will hatch the eggs in there.

I hope you don't lose anymore, but I'm assuming that there are a certain amount going to be lost, I don't know. Keep us posted.

Well I don't have a digital camera so it's very hard to get pictures. I took a bunch of pictures a week ago of my fish with a regular camera and none of them came out. My birthday is next week, so I'm hoping to splurge and get a digital camera and then I will definately take pictures.

How are your fry? How old are they? How many? Did you get a camera?

My fry are six weeks now and they are growing! They look like fish!

Oh it's absolutely amazing to watch them swim around! I feel so happy!

I hope I can catch them on a picture soon, maybe I can borrow a digital camera...

OldHag

Hi, I have lost 4 fry, not sure why. The others are doing well. I think I have 23 unless I've miscounted. They are 12 days old today. I think mine are twice the size from the first day they were hatched.

Glad yours are growing and doing good. I wonder when they start to get color?

Hope you can get your hands on a camera and post pictures. I'm going to nnnnnn after church today and see about getting a digital camera. As soon as I can figure out how to use it I'll post some.

Sorry you've lost some fry! :cry I lost two this Monday, so I have three 6 weeks old and one two weeks. The big one are starting to get some color 'cause their are different, one is very light colored with black eyes, the others are darker with small spots. I think they are all small shubunkins!

OldHag

I lost another fry today :cry1 I don't know what's wrong. I'm keeping water clean, have air, feeding them. I can't see what could be wrong. I notice some look like they are bigger and eat better than others. I wonder if something is wrong or what?

I'm so sorry for your loss :cry1 I know how you feel coz I lost a lots of mine too.Maybe you should consider separating the big ones from the smaller ones so they could all have their fair share of food?My husband always says the strong ones are gonna live and the weaker ones won't survive but I think giving them a chance is worth trying.Just my opinion though :D

it's actually pretty common to lose fry after a while, regardless of how great your water conditions and feeding schedule are. sometiems the fry have internal disorders or conditions you can't see, and as they grow, they can become fatal, but you would have no way of knowing. it's similar to the way some of them have crooked spines after they grow a little. It's sad, but better they go now than later, and it helps the balance of the stronger fry so that they can keep growing. Keep up the good work, I'm sure you're doing great!

:heart

Thanks. I had another one die yesterday. I examined it closely and I could tell it's spine was crooked. Right, I'd rather them go now before getting big and maybe suffering.

They are 14 days old today. I'm wondering how big they should be. Would say they should have doubled in size?

I don't know how fast they should grow, I think mine are small, almost seven weeks... They are developing though, they are darker on the back and red on the bellies, except for one who is clear with black eyes. All four are alive, and I can see that they are eating. They are active, swimming around.

Your mama fish is a calico, isn't it so? What color is the father?

I've taken lots of pictures so next week I may have something to show... :yeah:

OldHag

Yes the mama is a calico fantail and the father is solid orange common.

Thats great you can see your developing. I'm glad yours are doing good. I'll look forward to your pictures.

I have a camera now. I tried to take pictures of my fry but they are still so small the picture did not come out too good so I'll keed practicing until I get a good picture then I'll post it.

Thanks. I tried to take some of my fry but there not coming out. They show up as a white spec in the picture.

I'm having a battle with fungus on my fry. I'm keeping the fungus meds in the water but I'm still having trouble with that. So, that's got me worried. All I know to do is keep the water pristine and keep the meds in there. I also noticed I've had quite a few with crooked spines :crp

Thanks. I'm really disappointed, I'ts hard to watch the poor little things with that fungus on them. But, I'm treating it and I can only hope it clears up.

I'm down to 1 fry left and it's covered in that fungus. I just couldn't get rid of it. I had fungus meds in there. Kept water pristine. So I'm very sad about this. I was so excited about raising them. :cry1

I didn't treat the water while the eggs were hatching. That's probably what I did wrong. I'll try again next time they spawn.

Oh, Queenie, I'm so sorry :cry1 I'm sure you did nothing wrong. I didn't treat the water either cause I didn't even see the eggs... I hope you soon will have another chance, it is fascinating to raise fry, but you'll never know if they reach adulthood.

OldHag

Archived