There Here Already

Queenie

Hey everyone, I can't believe it! Saturday my fish were spawning, a male common and a female calico fantail. I saw eggs on this pitifully eaten up amazon sword plant. I took the plant out and put it in a plastic container with a small air stone. They are hatching! I can't believe it. I looked in there and these tiny little things were moving around. I counted at least 20 of them! :nana

So what is the best thing to do. When do I need to put food in there and what do you feed fry? Also do I need to keep a light on them? What about the water? I know I need to keep in upmost condition but they are so tiny.

I don't think I ever expected so many to hatch. If they live I'm going to have to find homes for them because I can't keep them all.

Well, I just didn't expect to get this many. I'm really excited. I wish I could send you guys one when they get bigger. :)

Thanks for the thread Raith.

I probably should have posted this in the breeding section.

:D Hey Queenie,Congrats!!! Your'e definately going to need something bigger to keep those little guys in along with an airstone.Both Erika and Heather have fry posts in breeding.-Go back and read over them-I'm sure what they are going through will help out your questions alot! Good Luck Hun!

Thanks everyone. Yes, I'm going to go to the breeding section and read...read....read.

Most of them are sitting still on the side of the container so I guess that's what they're doing, absorbing their egg sac. I'm seeing some clear stuff floating around in the water. Is this part of the egg sac?

Devs, right now they are in a 16 quart plastic container. It measures 16" X 11". I have an airstone in there with very gentle flow. I hope that's okay for a little while. Should I try to remove that clear floating stuff?

I've counted 27. But, I didn't expect that many. I wasn't even sure if the eggs were fertile. I would have been tickled to get 1, I don't really have a place for them. But I will fix up something and then try to find homes for them if they survive. Can't wait to see what they look like.

:clapping:

Congratulations with your new babies!!!! :) I have 4 frys(8 weeks)and I had no idea how to raise them but learned a lot from this board.It's really exciting to see these frys grow day by day.They are just so adorable.Good Luck with your babies!!! :D

i definitely suggest posting this in the breeding section-I'm sure you will get alot of helpful suggestions. Once they start swimming freely you can feed them liquifry, or I actually had luck with a powder called microfood, which is meant for feeding marine animals like clams, etc. it is made generally of the same thing as liquifry. and they loved it.

the airstone on a very low setting is really all they need right now, later you can add a small sponge filter.

There is so much to learn from the breeding section, anything I haven't mentioned alreday you can find there!

Good luck and congrats! you're going to have your hands full! :heart

Yes, it's amazing to have fry! My goldies are spawning once a month and I now have three fry of a months age and two newly hatched!

Old Hag

Thanks again everyone. They are doing good today. All 27 still alive. I went to the pet store and they actually had some Hikari First Bites so I got those. I was surprised they had them, they usually don't have anything I want. They didn't have any sponge filters or know what they were but they got out their catalog and I showed them what they were and they are going to order me one. So they are being very helpful in trying to get supplies. They even told me that when the fry got bigger they would like to buy some. So I'll see.

Thanks tweedlebugpicnic, I've been reading the breeding section and I'm learning alot. If it weren't for this website I'm sure I would have never even tried to raise any.

Can't wait to see what they look like.

Edited by Queenie

Heya Queenie! Some other good things to fee them, are cooked egg yolk, baby brine shrimp, and if you have any "green water" like algae water, that's good for them as well. Mine are eating small pellets now of spirulina and ProGold, but they still really enjoy the BBS. I just think they like chasing em. Good luck with the babies, they're a blast.

Thanks Errika. I couldn't get the baby brine shrimp here but if I can go into city I maybe can there. I was going to give them some boiled egg yolk, I guess I was a little paranoid about getting the water dirty with it. I don't have my sponge filter yet. He had to order me one. I guess I should just be careful about not putting too much in. I can actually tell they are eating now. :D

How old are yours now? What are you going to do with yours when they get big enough? I mean the ones that you can't keep.

As for the feeding method that i find successful is only using hikari for around 1 week or less and then start with the meat/protein and alternate for around 3 meat days then one day of hikari, this will insure a jump start on the growth with out negating the required amount of vitamins to help em survive. after 2-1.5 more weeks or so you can start with the crushed flakes/food instead of hikari's first bite.

Hey Queenie!

Mine are a little over 8 weeks now I'm guessing.... I still have about 17 or 20 left, but there are a few that need to be culled for some problems with their swimbladders. They're swimming vertically and spinning, and their swimbladders are strange looking. I've been waiting to see if it was a problem that would correct itself with time, but no, they're still having problems. :(

I'm only keeping one for myself, then Shawna, Toothy and a few other people from Koko's, and swimminggoldfish want some. The rest, I'll probably sell on Aquabid.com. I'm not real wild about the idea of taking them to the fish store. :(

Hi Errika,

That's why I was asking you. I'm not too crazy about taking them to the pet store either. We have 2 where I live. I might consider it with one of these stores but not the other.

I have no clue on how to use bidding sites. Ebay looked complicated to me so I've just never visited any others. But I'm sure it's looks complicated because I've never given it a try. I'll visit Aquabid. I also have no clue as to shipping a fish. If this issue comes up maybe you won't mind helping me? Thanks.

Sorry about having to cull some of your fish. I know that comes with the territory but that's going to be so hard. :crp

Okay Raith. The mamma fish is a chubby calico fantail. So maybe these will be chubby. I'll put you down for one. 

sorry im so late to reply! its been such a horrible week for me. *hugs Queenie* thanks!! :] yay. yay! :krazy: look at me goooo!

and i would never sell my babies nuh uh, neverrr!! *hugs my fish tank* me and animals, im a freak i know! :krazy: weee!

Guest Sageman

How long did it take them to hatch? I am wondering because I have over 100 eggs and waiting. I hope your fry are well. Mine if they are fertile will be moor and Oranda mix. I hope they are cute. Well will look back to see how they are doing.

Sage