Small Egg Like Things

Guest Sageman

Guest Sageman

Hello I was getting ready to change the filter in the tank when I saw hundreds of small egg like things. I dont know what they are the tank us some what cloudy. I am sorry if this is the wrong area but to me this is an emergency because I dont know what it is....

Fish eggs????????

please help....

Oh, those things are definetely goldfish eggs. I assume you have at least one female in your tank that has dropped eggs with or without the help of a male. If not taken out, the eggs will get eaten by the goldfish. Those few eggs you see in your filter probably got sucked up by the tube before the fish had a chance to gobble it up.

Do you have any idea how long ago the female might have dropped those eggs, and do you have more than one fish? Just thinking if they might be fertilized, and if it was just a few days ago, they might still hatch if fertilized.

If you only have one fish, there is no use in saving those eggs, since they are not gonna hatch.... :)

I'll put this thread in the breeding section for you... :)

Guest Sageman

I have 1 Big black moor and 2 smaller moors, and one Oranda. Not sure which one is the female. I am not sure when they were dropped other then the tank has been cloudy for almost two days. I have no Idea what to do from here so anyone that can help please do. I also have moved them and the filter to a 1 gln tank. I dont know what else needed so if someone, could point me in the right direction. Please,. and thank you.

PS I would love to see them hatch it would make a great new bring for my children to see. thank you all again.

Sage

Guest Sageman

Ok to answer the Question of when they might have been hatched... well from new years til 815am 010305 because I looked at the filter on New years. so I am assuming from then til today. Also how would one tell if they were fertile or not this is so exciting hehe. Thought about breeding now might have a chance. New kids for the year, if there fertile ofcourse. :D

Sage

If they are fertilized, you will see a black dot inside a clear egg after a few days. That is the developing fry. Do you have any eggs that are NOT inside the filter as well?

Guest Sageman

I see no other eggs in the tank she must have laid them near the filter because the mucus pack is on some of the filter and they are just hanging there I have not tried to take them off. I just left them there. I am not sure if I should take them off or not lol. First time ever seen gf eggs.

Sage :blink:

I would just leave them there. Eggs are very sensitive at this stage, and handling them in any way can do damage to the fry without you noticing it.

Is it possible for you to take whatever the eggs are clinging to out of the filter? The suction of the filter isn't really a great thing for them, and especially when they hatch its hard on them to be right in the middle of a strong filter.... :)

Actually i do suggest, if you can try to get the eggs by removing and replacing the filter's part if you can do so. the eggs should be placed in a large container with 75% of the tanks original water.

Also i would like a fry if you can send to new york, if you can't take care of em :rolleyes:

Guest Sageman

<_< Ok on the filter they are in a 1gln tank my old hospital tank I have not moved then from the filter just moved the filter out of the 40-60 container. I see about thiry more in the dual filter slots I guess those will have to be reincarnated at another time because I cant get them out for sure. But the filter is in another tank sitting. Some fell off when I moved it to the 1gln tank. right now they are the pearl white still not able to see in them. So I am guessing she laid them last night. But I am not a gf expert on the eggs. So should I leave them alone in the filter that is alone in the small tank?

Also I love how alot of my answers about the feedings (if the are fertile, and actually hatch) that are posted on this site. But from there. I guess we will see. Also on average if you could say how many fry almost make it? from the 100ish eggs I have left about 1/4 might make it? To fryhood?

Sage

Thank you all again

Guest Sageman

:D Now I would love to if I new how hehe. I am not sure who the mother is but I am sure it is Goose (BM) she is a 4-5inch BM head to end of tail. Now I have 2 other smaller Moor. And the other is a 3.5 Oranda Gold in color I will do another post with the pics of them.

Sage :yeah:

With a possible match of an oranda with a moor you might get some interesting mixes out of it. Kind of exciting to see what develops.

If the filter right now isn't turned on in that small tank, I would just leave it that way. Pop in an airstone though, oxygen is important, even for the smallest form of goldfish life.

If you estimate around 100 eggs, its almost certain that there are even more than that. I usually get it waaaay off with my estimation on eggs. The hatching rate itself might be high, but what percentage of healthy fish depends on generics, for one thing. I would only keep the ones with no visible deformities - no bent or crooked backs, missing eyes or fins, that kind of thing.

There is one theory I have been reading on today in Rick Hess' goldfish book.... The eggs shouldn't be kept in a low volume of water out of the high possibility that the fry will develop into bottom swimmers, or worse, when they get older. He was talking about a shoebox sized container when he mentioned that, so I would think if your 1 gl tank is fully filled, it should be okay.... :)

Guest Sageman

:D OK I have the page set up on my site, and I have them all loaded from about less then 10min ago. I hope you see and like them . I am not to sure about the Gold one I thought he was a Oranda, may be someone can let me know in here what he is. so the link is below..

My Fish Hope you like them.

If there is anything else please let me know I have the notification on. And I would love to hear from anyone form here about my situation as well as if they hatch I will update pictures as they go from the begining to the end. Thank you all and need more input hehe.

Thank you

Sage :D

Nice fish indeed, Sage! I like how the blue/white gravel comes out in the tank. And if we are talking FatA** here, yep, that looks like an oranda to me! :lol:

Guest Sageman

:D I had to put something in the tank they dont have any large river rock, the long flat smoth ones so I went with 2 10lbs blue and 2 lbs white, and one 10lbs green. I have the lillies and some other rock grabing root plant they are about 12- 18" long and the only thing in there I dont like is the 8' placos. Also another thing when I got Goose she was missing here rear anal fin. I think that is what it is called. I was told get this the females when they get big dont have a rear fin. Now to me that sounds a bit of a mystery. Also Fatty changes to a yellow almost on certain foods. I just never grab pictures of them till today lol. Anyway here fancy fin, perfect just no under fin by here bottom. I guess that is the anal fin she did have one I am sure when I got here. But never seen it fall off nor floating. I have been affraid the plecos being as big as it is strinking another fish. I have seen them gang up on the black moor in pets stores. But nothing here lol.

Thank you

Sage B)

Having one anal fin instead of the usual two, or missing them altogether is a generic thing, plain and simple. And telling by the lack of that fin if its a girl or not is just too funny! :rofl Almost as funny as trying to convince me that the fish without their dorsal (top)fin are the girls, the ones with the fin are the boys! :tomuch: A store employee tried to pull that one on me once! :thud

Guest Sageman

:D OK I was smarter then the vvvv guy. That is slap funny I thought. I went in looking for some medigold and they looked at me like I was lost. I told him it is for internal infections he tried to give me some salt water solution. I was like WTH I have a goldfish I need it for well after I busted out laughing I told him why he works there well he thought I was being rude after that. But I told him Goldfish is a freshwater. And he said no that they were a saltwater fish. And that is why I was looking for the medikit. Gold I said and that was it. But I found more here then any where even pets stores.

So thank you and thank you KOKO's because the sexes walkthru is a life saver. hehe

thank you

Sage :D

Having one anal fin instead of the usual two, or missing them altogether is a generic thing, plain and simple. And telling by the lack of that fin if its a girl or not is just too funny! :rofl Almost as funny as trying to convince me that the fish without their dorsal (top)fin are the girls, the ones with the fin are the boys! :tomuch: A store employee tried to pull that one on me once! :thud

WoW what amazing stories the store keepers may have. I believe they actually printed out "101 TALL, VERY TALL, GARGANTUALY STUPIDLY TALL LONG STORIES OF GOLDFISHES" By goldfish de la bowl

Guest Sageman

Well here it is almost one week, the eggs still there no hatching. But they are clear looks like a slight black in them kind of like an eye ball. Well I am not sure how long it would take if they were fertile to hatch. But if someone could tell me how long it takes, that is the normal times. Just incase they are not fertile and I am waiting for a dead line time hehe. PLease again thank you.

Sage

Guest Sageman

Ok cool, what is the average temp for good hatchings hehe. Sorry all to new. I have the food so when they are out and off the sack. just dont know the extras I guess if there is any known books about this can you if you know any post them o I can get them lol

Sage

Guest Sageman

Well I do thank you. For all the info you have put in and I will if all possible send you one when they are of age and I would like to see the Moor/Oranda mix hehe. I will keep it posted aswell as update the photos of their growth.

Sage

Archived