I Got A New Snail

Guest hamstaman

Guest hamstaman

I just got an apple snail for my 10 gallon tank with my fantail. My snail still hasent been out of its shell since the day I got him which was a week ago. Is it still shy? It has its shell a bit open so you can see a bit of him (doesnt move) then when I moved it out of the tank, he closes it. What is wrong?

Thanks

Great to be back (Happy New Year)

Guest hamstaman

The water levels are fine. The temperature is fine. The snail moved right when we got him and then he was at the top of the tank with alot of slime in crusted at the top. Then after he stopped moving and was in his shell. I put a baby carrot, he still hasent moved yet.

You should try Romain salad, or Boston salad, (my snails don't seem to like the iceburg salad)

Hmmm im not so sure, could your fantail maby buging him?

(Its normal for apple snails to go up and get some air) Maby his sick?

Guest hamstaman

I put some lettuce in the tank and the snail on top of it. He opens his shell, then he closes it as I take him out. I do not know what is wrong with him. He hasent went out of his shell for more then a week and he hasent moved around the tank. He just opens a bit of his shell then closes it. Has anyone experienced this type of behaviour before?

Thanks

Guest hamstaman

I think he is moving and you probably don't know it, but he's moving around at night.

Unless he falls out of his shell/a very distinct smell from him. Then you know he's dead.

But when I saw him, he is just still "Shocked" from switching tanks and everything.

****By the way, I am replying to my friend, who uses my same account lol****

I have learned that any salt or meds for fish are bad for snails, are you using anything in your water other than your conditioner? I have also read on applesnail.net that sometimes snails don't move for a long time, he could be very content, or just plan lazy.

keep us informed on how hes doing

hope he starts to move around for you soon

I think he is moving and you probably don't know it, but he's moving around at night. 

My snails are active at night. They stay in their shells during the day. Your snail may be adjusting to the new surroundings. I have my fingers crossed for you Hamstaman :)

Archived