Fry Feeding

OldHag

I have to work now, but I just want to say that I love to be here with the people who knows what I'm talking about! My husband didn't realize what he did when he dug a pond and made a tank for the fish. He thinks I've become totally crazy about the fish. When I speak to them he always says Fish can't answer! But they do, they are happy! :D And those fry! Oh I'm at work now, but I just wanna go home to look at the fry...

Edited by OldHag

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I feed the fry three times a day with frozen brine shrimp and powderized food, and I clean every day, remove uneaten food. Sometimes there is much leftovers, sometimes it's not, but I suppose they eat as much as they want, there's nothing more to do. They don't grow fast, but they seems to be healthy.

I have't named them yet, though. My female shubunkins, the mother, name is Gullet (Cutie) because she has a turned-up nose and big black eyes. The calico shubunkin is called Buse (Rascal) and the common red cap is named Brain... :D

Old Hag

I have been told that feeding live food is good to promote their growth :) I have started feeding mine with live tubifex worms.But it kinda grossed me out when I saw worms coming out of their gills :( Maybe you should try it :D

I couldn't find any live tubifex worms here, just freeze dried like my brine shrimp. That is no difference, is it? Well, I'll look for it.

OldHag

It's okay if you can't find any :) It was just a suggestion :blink: My frys did well with frozen brine shrimp but I wanted to try a variety of foods and compare which food is better for promoting growth :D

Yes of course it's good to vary the fish food, but I'm so unsure. I think it's difficult to know, 'cause there is so much! When I bought my big fishies, they are pond fish from the beginning, I got a box with food and they said this is the best for them. I'ts a kind of pellets, red, yellow and green.They have some peas too everyday and they love it. But when I tried to feed them brine shrimp they got scared and hid under the root. Where I bought my fish they say: Goldfish are vegetarian and don't eat shrimp. So it's difficult. How do I know I give my fish the most nutricious food?

Old Hag

Ok, I'll do that! How old are your fry now? The picture was great!

I gave my fry peas yesterday and they ate the smallest pieces. They have grown! They have big bellies!

OldHag

They are almost 10 weeks now and have grown a lot :) They haven't got any color though.They are still goldish.

Hope you could post pics of your frys :) I would love to see them.

I've taken a lot of pictures now, maybe next week I'll have them developed. Hopefully at least one of them is good... As I don't have a digital camera I use Photo CD or scanner. You all here seems so good at photographing! All your pictures are wonderful. How do you make it?

Three of my fry are dark on the back (small black spots) and have red bellies, and the fourth is clear with black eyes. It's so exciting to see what will become of them. They seems to be happy and healthy! :D

Old Hag

It's great to hear that your frys are doing good :D Can't wait to see the pics.

As for photographing,I'm not that good with taking pictures so I just take a lot of shots and out of those,pick the ones that are good :lol:

Yes, thats exactly how I'm doing right now! I'm practising! Next Friday I'll have my new pictures. You can see an example of my photography skills :lol: in my signature. I've edited the picture of my fish a hundred times before I could show it for anyone. The trouble is the light, either to dark or just to light and blurry... if I use the flash it's only reflections...

I' like to now, shall I use swedish or english name on my fish? Brain is an english name but the other two? What do you prefer here on Kokos?

From the left in my signature is Buse (Rascal), Gullet (Cutie) and Brain.

I haven't named my fry yet because I don' know which one I' gonna keep.

Old Hag

• 3 weeks later...

I still have two fry left... the big one and a small pale one. They are the same age and they were the same size from the beginning. There must be something wrong with the small one, isn't it so? It moves and eats so I don't know why it isn't growing. I'll just wait and see. I wonder if the big fry, Maxi, killed the other two (because he wanted more space?) and if he will take this one too...

What is your experiences about different fry sizes and big fry eating smaller ones... ?

Hi there!Sorry you lost another fry.I hope the other two left survive and live happy long lives :)

Well,about size difference,it would be better to separate the bigger frys from the smaller ones because the big ones will eat the small ones.I had a similar experience.3 of my frys ended up having torn fins and one missing half of it's dorsal fin.Some small ones disappearing without a trace :blink: I'm pretty sure they got eaten.

Good luck with your babies.I hope they do survive.I'll keep my fingers crossed for you :)

It happened again. My big fry maxi scared me. When I came in he was laying on his side on the bottom! When he saw me he got up quick as a lightning and started to swim like nothing happened. Is maxi the strangest fish on earth? Could he be sleeping laying on his side on the bottom... ?

Is that even possible...

Or could it be something else...

Confused OldHag

I'm sorry but I don't know :( Maybe you should start a new thread about this problem so that other people with more knowledge about frys can help.I'm sorry I'm not much help,I'm sure someone can clear this out for you.Good Luck.

Maxi's been doing good lately, start acting like a grown fish. He shows great interest in food and swims up and starts to eat at once, when I feed him. I feed and clean, feed and clean and wait for him to grow up! I was a little worried that he would feel alone in his fry net. But so far he seems to be doing OK, and I'm happy. I wish I could take a picture that shows his color, black and silverbelly, but thats difficult when he's in the fry cage and I don't want to stress him and take him up. So I'll just wait!

OldHag

• 2 weeks later...

When should a fry/young fish be able to eat grownup pellets? I'm afraid to let Maxi move to the big tank because of his hungry parents. If they do not take him for lunch then they probably eat all food and there'll be nothing left for him. How big should he be before he moves out, anyone knows? He is only two months now.

OldHag

Hi Anette :)

Remember those tiny pellets I got from a breeder?I started feeding those to my frys and they seem to like it :D I give 2 pellets for the big ones and 1 for the smaller ones.I don't know if it will be okay to put Maxi with his parents because he's still small...most likely he'll end up as food :unsure: so maybe it'll be better to leave him where he is until he gets a lot more bigger.Just my opinion though :D

Thanks! Yes I think too that he must stay a while in the fry cage, though I'm afraid that he feels alone and bored there :D .

He must grow otherwise he won't be able to compete with his hungry parents. They will take all food and leave him nothing.

He eats and poops good.(I think he grows a little everyday!)He acts like a real goldfish now and eats everything I give him :D .

You can only join them with the bigger fish when you are absolutely sure that they won't fit into the mouth of the bigger fish. i'd say around 6 months.

You have to change the water regularly even if you have a filter. I change the water in my tanks every two days. And feed them live brine shrimp. They're 2 months old now and still have 60 fry from the 150 that i originally had.

Does anyone know how much food a fry of 2 months should have? I feed Maxi two (three on weekends) times a day (small meals!), and he eats everything I give him. Crushed peas, goldfish flakes, pellets or freeze dried brine shrimp, he seems to like it all!

I clean up after him once a day but I'm always afraid that there should be bacteria in the water! (I test it often, of course)

Maybe I worry to much :crp

:lol: Isn't it all the same with the first "babies", human or fish wise - we worry and worry!

It sounds like you are doing a wonderful job, OldHag, and I would continue on this path. 2-3 meals a day are perfectly fine for a little guy like that. I always remember what a breeder said whose family breeds goldfish in Thailand - he lets them eat and eat and eat, all day long. Although its a different food, not pellets, flakes or anything like that. Its either live food, or a thick homemade paste, similar to the gelfood we are making. That paste food gets plopped into the fry ponds in one piece, and over the course of the day fish nibble it down to nothing.

Smaller, more frequent meals are definetely better than one huge meal a day.... :)