Fry Feeding

OldHag

Hi, my goldies had babies and three of them are still alive. They are one month old now but I don't think they have grown a lot. How big should they be at this age? Mom's a shubunkin and the father(s) are a common and a shubunkin. I feed them three, four times a day with Wardley Small Fry and frozen brine shrimp. Is that to often though they doesn't seem hungry? Later I can see them swimming at the bottom of the fry net and it looks like they eat a little of what has fallen down. It's so hard to know if they eat enough, if they know what is food and how I know if their hungry. Can I "teach" them or are they too young?

My big fishies almost jump out of the tank when I feed them, but the little ones doesn't even bother to look at the food.

TheOldHag

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, I guess they are eating enough... when I looked in my fry net I discovered two newly hatched fry... I don't know how they got inside, but my goldies were spawning again a couple of days ago. In some way they managed to get inside the net, so I have to keep them. They are so small, so my "old" fry really have grown...!

I'm from Sweden and I apologize if my english isn't correct!

I think your english is very good. I'm new at taking care of fry as well. I started feeding mine today because they were swimming around instead of staying to the side of the container. I honestly could not tell if they were eating or not. I don't think you will have to teach them, I'm sure instict and their love for food takes care of that. I guess we are so used to seeing the big ones gobble up that food and the babies are so tiny it's hard to tell.

I'm glad to hear your babies are doing well. I couldn't get any frozen brine shrimp around here but I was able to get the Hikari First Bites so that's what I'm feeding mine. I'll have to go back and re-read the thread but I think I read that we need to feed them 4 or 5 times a day.

Thank you. The fry are still doing well, I now have three big ones and three that just started to swim! They are doing alright together, the small ones swims away when a big one comes to close! I hope they'll all survive. It's amazing just to sit and watch them... !!!

Amazing. I think I need a magnifying glass in order to see that. Mine are so tiny right now but this morning I actually saw one eat. This is really fun.

I look at my fry everyday with a magnifying glass. I can now see them open their tiny mouths and take a piece of food...I can see all their fins, ooh yes this is fantastic, to see these little creatures live and grow...

OldHag

Cool! I got eggs this morning and I piced them out into a separate container. I don't know which ones are fertilied. I've got around 50 eggs or so. I hope they all live. How long should i wait till they hatch? Then what should i do after? I'm totally a newbie.

The mother is a fantail and the FATHERS are a red cap oranda and a pearlscale.

For me, it took only 2-3 days before the egg hatched. Then about 3-4 days before the fry were free swimming and I had to feed them. I bought something called Wardley Small Fry liquid food and gave them one drop four or five times a day. Then I found frozen brine shrimp and they have it once a day. My fry has also two fathers, I'm so curious to see how they look when they grow.

Oh ok. Am really scared because they just sink to the bottom after wiggling a bit. Am afraid that some would die. Some hatched before the others. Hope they'd all survive. Is this normal when they just sink to the bottom and lye there for hours without moving at all?

Yes, it took my fry 3-4 days before they were free swimming. They lay at the bottom or hang at the sides in the beginning of their lives!

You say you have your newly hatched fry in with your 1 month old fry? I would think the larger fry would eat the smaller ones. I know this happened with betta fry. I would seperate them.

My fry hatched a month ago yesterday. They vary is size some being about this long: --------- and some only ------- They have started to look like goldies, but I see no color or anything yet.

Good luck!

Yes, I was afraid of that in the beginning, so I have watched them closely. I have one small fry left, (because the other got stuck in the corner of the net when I was cleaning the tank), and it seems that the small one swims away, very quickly, when a big one comes to close!

I bought a new magnifier and watch the fry very close, and I can see differences in their color! They have small dots so I think they all are small shubunkins. One of them has black eyes, like mom, and are much lighter, just like the mum. I think she (he) will be a little copy of mom!

It was a tragic story of those fry, they got sqeezed under that plastic construction that holds the net. They were hiding when I was siphoning the gravel in the tank, and by the time I got them out they were dead.

If I ever raise fry again I'll change the net so there wont be a death trap. My older fry are too big to get stuck, so they'll be okay, but I have no other place to keep them, until they are big enough to join their parents.

Have anyone used such a net? What are your experiences?The name of the net is Marina, I don't know where it's made.

I have three fry that are about 6 weeks, and the little one is almost two weeks. They seems to get along just fine, and the little one grows so fast! I know because I saw some newly hatched today... my fish are producing all the time. But I can't keep any more fry...

my fish are producing all the time

I know the feeling.I had to separate the males and females just to stop them from spawning :rolleyes:

I hope your frys grow to be healthy goldies :) Good Luck with them.

How big are they now? :huh:

Edited by coyote ugly

That's OK. My fry are about that size (---------) Not so very big but I use a magnifier to watch them. I never knew it was this fun to have goldfish! I'm totally addicted! My husband made a pond this summer and suggested that we should have som fish in it. And thats how it started! :D

Old Hag

I'm sorry to hear about what happend to your fry. What kind of net is it and why do you need to put a net? I have my fry in a small 2 gal tub as of now which is easier to keep. I'l place them in a 15gal tub in around a couple of weeks when they get bigger. Am so happy! just bought fry food for them. Those powderized fry food. the brand is Sera. Anyone tried this?

I have them in a fry net with plastic frames in the big tank so the parents should not eat them. I have no room for another tank, so I'll put them in the big tank when they are big enough.

Old Hag