Bubble Nests

chelsea

i dont know what they look like. but my betta tank has bubbles underneath the leaves, and they arent from the ugf filter. are these bubbles from my betta?

Here ya go. It's tiny at the moment. He just started rebuilding it today, after his water change. It'll be nice and big in a week week.. just in time for him to have to start rebuilding it again. He builds huge nests, sometimes as much as almost an inch high and about 3in in diamater.

bubblenets.gif

well then maybe it is a bubble nest. i dont know. there are a few bubbles under a leaf. and thats it. nice, round clear bubbles, but only 2 or 3 under each leaf. hmm.

My double tail betta Claude built the biggest bubble nest Ive ever seen right after I moved him into his 10 gallon (from a betta cup). I took a picture because it was the best bubble nest I'd ever seen! It stretched across the whole tank. I'll post a pic when I get home tonight. But that was the last one he ever made? I havent been able to figure out why!

Bubble nests are the bettas' ways of saying theyre happy and ready to breed (which is what fish want to do when theyre thriving). Other labyrinth fish like gouramis also build bubble nests.

Heres a pic I promised last week, of the bubble nest Claude built right after i put him in his 10 gallon. I think he likes it a little more than the pet store cup, wouldnt you say!?

post-18-1066797618.jpg

Males should be kept by themselves, because they are VERY territorial. Some people have successfully kept females and males together, but that usually wont work, unless you have a huge tank with tons of hiding spots for the female(s). It's better to only do that when you're trying to get them to breed. Females can often be kept together. If you're keeping them with other fish, I'd use the typical tropical stocking rule... 1 inch of fish (adult size) per gallon. If you're keeping only bettas, you can overstock a little IMO, because they're so hardy and oxygen isn't as much of a concern (they take air from the surface). Just do plenty of water changes and keep it clean.

That depends on the betta itself. Most will build smaller bubble nests all the time, but of course bigger ones when a female is around. Some of my very young ones, which I got from a local breeder, are still juveniles, but are already working effortlessly on a nest, while some other are not interested at all, not even with a female close by.

Since I organized my betta collection with some very neat compartments made out of mesh, with up to 5 males fitting into a 10 gl tank on top and space for females on the side and the bottom, I have noticed much more bubble nests and fatter females in no time....

• 2 weeks later...

Archived