What Size Of Air Pump Do I Need?

My FIL gave me an air pump but it's old and really noisy. I wouldn't mind using it, but Hubby says it's way tooooo loud!

I have a 44 gal tank, and I looked at the air pumps online at Superpet, but they have a lot of different sizes/wattages. I am confused! Does it matter which one I get.

I remember someone pointed out to me earlier on here that the cheaper ones are noiser but beyond that I am clueless.

Jessica

normally on the box they say what size tank they can accomidate up to i went with one for a 65 gal. i have a 55. it was about $12 but it is a little noisy so i turn it off when i go to bed and turn it back on when i wake up and let it run all day. it has two outputs but i just realized that i have a whole bunch of connetcted valves on my stand that i can use to split it many ways. not sure if that helps or not just thought i'd let you know what i do... :D

• Admin

Also ways to help the noise is to have a sock under the air pump and make sure to that the air stone isnt up against the glass this will cause it to be noisy too :)

I have a Rena air pump that I really like, it has an adjustable valve so I can control air flow. It is really quiet compared to the Hagen Maxima I had before (the Maxima is a back-up pump now).

I believe air pumps are rated for depth/water pressure; you would need one rated appropriately for your tank so the motor won't burn out prematurely. The outside box of the pump should tell you what size it is rated for. Hope this helps.

Guest saraharundell

The bigger the better really, and try to get an adjustable one- even if you have too much output you can bleed off the excess with a valve. Bigger ones are good because you can use them for two or more jobs at once, like running an airstone or filter etc., or filtering multiple tanks.

Interpet have a new one called the Airvolution that is *really* quiet and they give more realistic output information than other brands- once you add a few feet of airline and put it under water the actual output you get is a lot less than it says on the box, so get one bigger than you think you need.

I put my pump on top of a car sponge to reduce vibration, it works pretty well.

Sarah

Archived