Replacing Filter Cartridges

RedCapMiggi

Yes.

I wouldn't throw it away. Rinse it in discard water from your partial water changes. You can also smack it against something when it really gets clogged.

How many filter pads do you have in the tank?

If you have room in that filter, you could add some bioballs, ceramic rings or other biomedia. That should help with more area for the biofilter bacteria to colonize.

Yes.

I wouldn't throw it away.  Rinse it in discard water from your partial water changes.  You can also smack it against something when it really gets clogged.

How many filter pads do you have in the tank?

If you have room in that filter, you could add some bioballs, ceramic rings or other biomedia.  That should help with more area for the biofilter bacteria to colonize.

I have a Whisper 10i...its one filter pad...it does have like a plastic pad that i believe is to help biofilter to establish....i think i am gonna add bioballs to it..there is a lot of room in there..

I already cleaned out the pad...(before i read this)...i tried cleaning it in old tank water but it wouldn't get clean...I think that that plastic pad in there still has the bio filter...either way..how long would it take to establish biofilter again, if i completly broke it?

If you crash your cycle, it depends how long it will take to re-establish itself. There isn't a set in stone answer for that.

Does the whisper take a cartridge that is plastic on one side, and fuzz on the other like a penguin?

If so, when it gets really gunky and you need to change it, cut, or rip away some of the gungy fuzz, and stick it in the filter with the new cartridge. That's what I do, and so far I've not crashed my cycle.

Jessica

Archived