How Long Do Goldfish Chase A Female During Mating?

Guest shambhalaguy

Guest shambhalaguy

Hi,

I have two black moors in a 30gal tank. The tank is 4 weeks old and still cycling. I change 10gal every day - occasionally 15gal if water tests are high.

My problem is that one of the black moors is constantly chasing the other one. I am assuming this is some sort of mating behaviour. I have not seen any white spots on the gill covers of the moor that is doing chasing, but I am assuming it is a male.

I am concerned the "female" is being harassed pretty much non-stop and that she might be harmed by this behaviour. Is this something I should be concerned about or should I just let nature take its course?

If I should separate them - I do not have a second tank to put one into. I was thinking about getting one of those plastic "cages" that hangs inside the tank to separate them with. Is that a good idea and how long does this behaviour last for?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Vik

Guest Alastair

Maybe the "male" was chasing her away from the food?

or maybe the "male" is just playing around... And getting to know the "female"? Or maybe he's just plain harassing her... If "he" bites off her fins maybe you can get a simple plastic divider and divide them... It's cheap and very practical

Archived