2 Goldies In A 10 Gallon

RedCapMiggi

It depends on how long you want to keep them there? Indefinitely, no. For a few months, yes. You must already know what you are doing as you have planned it well. It is a good setup as long as they don't grow much. ;) Unfortunately, healthy, happy GF are little pigs and they grow like mad too. They will soon out grow your 10gal. If you are willing to upgrade your tank to keep up with the fish growth then go for it! Otherwise, it might be better to aim a little higher now (20gal?) and save yourself the hassles later on. Sounds fair? :thumb:

When I first got my 2 goldfish, I did keep them in a 10 gal. aquarium with 1 filter. That was before I found this board and learned about the 10 gal. each rule. But, I did a lot of water changes. They also grew so fast it was more than obvious they were not happy in there.

If a 10 gal. is all you are able to give them right now I would say as long as you can do enough partial water changes to keep the water quality good, enough filtration, and areation you can get by with it for a while. If money is an issue, maybe you can keep your eyes open at yard sales, news papers, thrift stores, etc. and be able to get them a bigger tank soon. Sometimes people buy aquariums and then decide it's too much trouble for them and they sell them very cheap just to get rid of them. My friend got a big aquarium with all supplies for $30.00. I couldn't believe it. I would have saved myself a lot of trouble and money if I would have just started out with a bigger tank in the first place. But, I know it's not always possible.

Archived