Apple Snails & Their Siphon

selena685

I finally got a photo of one of my snails with their siphon out:

bubbasiphon.jpg

and this is a photo of my baby snail Squirt.

squirtthegang.jpg

Believe or not Squirt and the snails behind him are from the same batch. I bought the three other snails about a month ago and they just grew and grew. When I went back to the petshop I saw how big mine had grown compared to their brothers & sisters so I had to rescue one...which was Squirt. The LFS dont put food in there for them as they believe they can live on algae alone, but there are so many apple snails in the tank, all the algae must be gone by now. :(

and here is another photo of one of my snails munching on some spinach..

hubbbaspinach.jpg

Ok, I will stop now. I'm a very clucky snail momma :lol:

Does any one else here have some snail photos they want to share?

:wub: Your snail is a beauty!!! :heart I will have to check out your links. I'm very jealous that you can get different coloured snails. We can only get Golden in Australia :( I love your snails white body :heart

I got my snails from someone, not from a pet store- maybe if you could find someone in Australia that has colored snails that they'd be willing to send you, you could get some? You probably have wilds there too, which is the naturally occurring type, which is black to chocolate brown, usually with stripes. Actually, I thought snails were illegal in Australia?

Here I have to give you links..

Wild Type 1

Wild Type 2

The one in front is the wild

WT is on top of the babies

q.jpg

n.jpg

l.jpg

Sorry if my snail-bragging was a little overly apparent here. :D

Cool snail pics Airwen!! :heart

Apple snails are illegal in Australia. They were illegally imported years ago and started popping up in aquariums before authorites had a chance to get a handle on it.

I'm going to try and email some fish importers if they know of any apple snail sellers in Australia who have different coloured snails.

Is that home made snail cookies your snails are munching on?

I would ask around on applesnail.net, I seem to remember an Australian being able to import some.

Yup, they are. They didn't work though; the snails loved them but they ended up floating and clouding the water. <_<

I just get baby carrots from the bag and drop them in. Some snails like them more than others, and a lot of snails hate carrots. Mine eat them, so I dunno... they won't touch them until they've been in the water for a few days and are soft enough to eat though.

Thanks leo!

Just a idea for those in Austrailia wanting the coloured snails..dont try to get snails in get someone to ship you newly laid brig eggs..you have around 2 weeks before they start to hatch..it worked for me{Us to UK} we only had the gold here in the UK now I have purple , ivory, blue jade and many different chocolate coloured ones..mine managed to reach me coming through as aquatic orniments :rofl and they sure do like nice in my tank..Linda

Linda...I've tried that idea and it didnt work out. I wont ever do that again as I was stressed out the whole time as Australian customs are very strict and apple snails are a big no no here becuase of our rice industry, but if you know of any aussies who have them I would love to know. I'm going to post something up at applesnail.net so hopefully I will be able to get a respone there from a fellow aussie :D

• 2 weeks later...

everyone has such beautiful looking snails, I want to get a white shelled one here, I did see one once, but now that I am looking I probably won't find any. Baby carrots? how long can u leave them in the tank? I have goldfish and a pleco as well, would it be ok for them? would it pollute the water? sorry for so many questions, but the snails are sooo cool. I really like them, I currently have three and they are very active during the day. Any suggestions for snail keeping would be great! since this site I haven't killed anymore, I found out that it was the salt and meds I was using for the fish, thanks for the valuable info. :)

Kit- A lot of snails don't like baby carrots, but mine for some reason do. I suppose they are the black sheep of their vast snaily family. You should try it though. I just get them straight from the bag and plop them into the tank- they sink. Or I take steamed ones. Neither one of which I've ever had cloud or affect the water in any way, and I leave them in there until they're gone, which doesn't take too long. I also feed them algae wafers, green beans, romaine lettuce, and sinking fish food.

Yup, their "snorkels" can be very long! I love it when they sit an inch or more below the waterline and extend it up to the surface to breathe- kinda like me, too lazy to get all the way there..

I bought a bag of baby carrots tonight :) I am going to give it a try, is there a snail limit for the size tank? my petstore told me I could have 6 in my 10 gallon, I also want some babies :) so they said that six would be a good number and that I would have plenty of babies, but how many could I house? and what do I do with the remainder? I read on applesnail.net that a good rule of thumb is 2 1/2 gallons per snail..suggestions? thanks a bunch :D

Wow, 6 in a ten gallon is a little crowded, but not unheard of. Also 6 is kind of a fishy number; they say get 6 of a kind of fish you want to breed. You'll probably need less snails, but that's fine. However, for snails to breed you need the conditions to be right, including a low waterline because they lay their eggs above it.

As a snail growout tank, 10 gallons is way too small, even for just one clutch- a single clutch can have hundreds of babies. Growout tanks should be larger, even if you plan to sell the babies before they are full grown, and bare bottomed and devoid of decorations. It still needs plenty of filtration and heat though. Babies eat the same diet as the parents, so you can house them together.

If you just want SOME babies, I'd buy them online. That way you can choose color and amount and don't have to worry about things like growout tanks, shipping and selling the babies (that is, if you don't want to keep them).

I currently have 3 in there, a golden, chestnut, and blue and want to so badly get an ivory one, I thought 6 might have been a little too much too. I keep water below the top frame of the tank a couple of inches, I also have a filter and airstone in there to keep it oxygeneted. I thought snails produced no matter what, but now I understand you have to have the right conditions for it...thanks for your help, I did drop half of a baby carrot in there tonight, we'll see what happens, my tank temp is 73 also, oh one more thing, I was also wondering if 6 snails would do anything to the water quality in the tank too, right now I have excellent water quality..thanks

Archived