Freeze Dried Foods And Swim Bladder Disease

Ash

I like to give my fish some Hikari freeze dried foods as little treats, but with learning around SBD, I'm worried. Should feeding these kinds of foods, that are nearly impossible to sink, be avoided. How do you feed them? None of my goldies have a history of SBD, but I don't want to risk it...especially with my fancier ones. :unsure:

i have been having similar concerns, so i turned some of my freeze dried foods into a gel food. it cures the floating problem, and combines several of the foods into one feeding. which i believe will help as far as nutrition.

Soaking all food in a little tank for a few minutes prior to feeding is a good habit to get into and it might even make your freeze dried foods sink. If not though it will make it easier for the goldies to digest.

A friend of mine has a big fantail that will float if it eats anything BUT freezed dried bloodworms and homemade gel food.

So, she hasn't found the fd bloodworms a problem. I believe they have slightly laxative qualities and help keep the food moving quickly :)

I'm intrigued about Gelfoods.

Perhaps someone could start a new topic called "Gel Food Recipes" or similar, and post a couple.

Personally, I am feeding floating flake, soaked for a few seconds to allow it to swell before the fish get to it. I also feed peas or sweetcorn a couple of times a week to try and prevent SB problems.

But if you can add all of this sort of thing to a gel food which the fish can nibble and enjoy, then I'm all for giving it a go.

Mike, can you oblige me with a couple of recipes in a new thread?

Archived